Canon XL2 or 5Dm2/60D?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, I currently own a 5Dm2 and 60D and create video tutorials for photography using the 60D for the video filming myself shooting with the 5D2.  My studio has been asked to create commercials for our business clients as well as interviews and event videos.

What I was wondering was if it was worth buying a Canon XL2 to shoot all of our video as I've seen them from $500-900, or should I continue to use the DSLRs.  To be honest, I haven't been entirely impressed with my video footage, but I'm not sure if that's because of my settings or lighting, or if a real video camera would just be better overall.

The reason I was looking at the XL2 was because I could use my current Canon lenses (does that really do much vs the 20x lens) and the more options like 24fps and 6:9 that the older ones don't have.

Thanks for any help!
      Aloha Bob

Inactive

Aloha Bob, 

Some of the best footage I've seen has been a product of the two cameras in your posession. What settings are you shooting in? Are you shooting in a studio for the most part?

The XL2 is a fine camera and ideal for video. However, it's nearly 10 years old and it only shoots in standard def DV. The two cameras you have can shoot in higher-end HD and high-end SD if needed. Yes, you could use your canon lenses with the XL2, but you'll need the EF Adapter ($600+ from Canon) to make the conversion. Though the XL2 is a tape-based camera, you can use a firewire card adapter to record footage to solid state media ($450-$2000 depending on brand and capabilities.) As is, you're good to go with what you have but if you are looking for sustained shooting without heat limits, a dedicated video camera is the way to go. If you plan on doing nothing more than shooting in 4:3 or 16:9 standard def, then the XL2 is a good option. If you're wanting to go all HD, fuggeddaboudit!

Participant

Thanks, I'll try to answer everything.

I'm usually shooting in my photo studio.  Grey walls, white ceiling (8-13ft depending on the room) or the greenscreen room which is a warehouse with no close walls or ceiling.

What I'm assuming is the bad part of my quality is the lighting I'm using.  I'm either using the 150W modeling light bulbs on my studio flash units (usually 3 of them — key, fill and hair), or some hallogen work lights:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202066789/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=work+lights&storeId=10051#.UQCzy2cwCf4

It seems that I usually have to turn the ISO up on the cameras because I'm using f4 lenses like the Canon f4/24-105.  When I use my f1.8/50 and open it up I have a hard time getting focus with the shallow dof.

Another thing that I was always doing was converting my original footage to .mp4 before edting which I'm assuming is lowering the quality from the start.  Should I always edit with the raw footage and only convert later or when?

I prefer 16:9.  I read a forum where someone asked if they could shoot in SD and upconvert to HD and someone replied that with one of Red Giant's plugins (I can't remember which) you could upconvert and get very good HD quality.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap