CANON XF-105 HD CAMCORDER – Shooting in low-light,bar – will post to Vimeo. Help!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion CANON XF-105 HD CAMCORDER – Shooting in low-light,bar – will post to Vimeo. Help!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Need some advice on shootinga short video in a low-light bar and pub. I have a Cannon XF-105 HD Camera, what would be the best setting, ideally? Any lighting techniques? There will be talking heads and I'll have them on wireless mics – talk show feel. Any advice would be amazing, thank you. It's been a long time since I've shot – cheers!

Participant

A small LED light on top the camera is very usefull for doing interviews.  You don't really need a powerful one, just enough to add some detail and fill in the shadows.  A light with a dimmer, or adding a diffuser gel helps to reduce the light output.  The problem with a light that's too bright when used in a dark setting like a bar is the camera has to iris down in order to properly expose on the face resulting in a very dark (or almost black) background making it look like a face "floating in space".  Another method I like to use with a camera mounted LED light is to use a small ball-joint adapter so I can pivot the light in various directions allowing me to bounce the light off a ceiling or 'throw' more spill light onto the background.  You can also use an assistant, hand holding a second light that can be used to fill in the background or add backlight.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap