Canon XA20 vs. Panasonic AG-AC90A

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I tried posting something similar earlier, but it didn't seem to stick..

Anyhow.

I'm being pulled back into the corporate video world. I have a $2,000 camera budget and am looking at the Canon XA20 and the Panasonic AG-AC90A.

I'll be shooting mostly talking head, maybe two person and events. Might have to green screen on occasion.

I'm not ready to dive into the DSLR world just yet. 

Any thoughts on the two mentioned or another that you can recommend?

Participant

Hi Bill.

I started looking at the Sony after I had posted my question. It's definitely jumped to the top of the list.

Thanks for the input!

Hi rus – If you can stretch your budget by $196, I recommend the new Sony PXW-X70.  It has a backlit 1" sensor (8 times larger and with more light-gathering capability than the 1/3" sensor in traditional camcorders).  It also records to a 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC codec (for rock solid green screen work – much better than the 8-bit 4:2:0 cameras at this price point from Canon and Panasonic).

Here is what this camera can do:

And here's a review from Philip Johnston, the HD Warrior, demonstrating broadcast quality green screen from this camera:

This camera is also future-proof. Sony will offer an Ultra High Definition (UHD) "4K" upgrade to this camera early next year (rumored to be about $500).  UHD is 4 times the resolution offered by the 1080p Canon XA20 and Panasonic AG-AC90.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
    homicide-bootstrap