Canon XA20-25

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm thinking of buying a Canon XA20 or 25. As I understand it, they weren't available 'til June 30. I've read quite a bit about them, but since they weren't out yet, the only words wrote about them were provided by Canon, or speculatively by writers who have shot on their predecessors. Has anyone shot on them yet? I hate to buy a camera without seeing what its detractors say about it. Thanks.

VTexan – here are some good pros and cons from someone who returned his X920 when he saw what the XA20 could do in this recent review at Amazon

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks; I hadn't seen that one. I guess they'll start trickling in now. Hate that it's called prosumer…but I guess that price range pretty much is.

Participant

Bought one; it'll be here tomorrow.

Inactive

VTexan,

I'm not sure if you saw our review of the XA25 (http://www.videomaker.com/article/15890-canon-xa25-professional-camcorder-review), but be sure to check out the sample footage. I hope your camera arrives nicely and shoots well!

-Jackson

Participant

Thanks Jackson; yes I saw that. And thanks for the recommendation Bill. I'm looking into it.

Participant

Since B&H was backordered, I got my AX20 from Amazon. As I put it in my cart, a host of other items appeared at bottom, one of which I needed: a case for the camera and assorted things. So I purchased it, and it got here 3 days later. Camera came today, and after putting the shotgun mic holder onto the handle, the camera doesn't even fit in the bag Amazon recommended for that model. Be forewarned to do your research instead of just believing they know what they're talking about…

Participant

Since B&H was backordered, I got my AX20 from Amazon. As I put it in my cart, a host of other items appeared at bottom, one of which I needed: a case for the camera and assorted things. So I purchased it, and it got here 3 days later. Camera came today, and after putting the shotgun mic holder onto the handle, the camera doesn't even fit in the bag Amazon recommended for that model. Be forewarned to do your research instead of just believing they know what they're talking about…

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Hi,

can someone confirm vignetting problems or (I hope) no?

regards

Ugo

Participant

I don't think I've seen the vignetting. Here's a little thing I whipped together when a fox appeared in a parking lot. I was shooting through windows for most of this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jadinamo/9335598894/ 

Participant

I received my Canon XA20 from B&H the first week in July.

While testing it out, I found something unexpected with the audio.

I contacted Canon Tech Support and explained that, when monitoring a recording with headphones, there is a slight delay in the sound. It is a little "behind" the video.

I explained this slight delay was present in both mono and stereo mode, using either the built-in mics or external shotguns. So, regardless of the source, it's still there.

On playback, the slight delay is gone. The video and audio match and are in sync.

I told the tech I'm using Sennheiser HD 25 headphones, which I have had for years, and never heard this slight delay with other videocams when recording.

The tech suggested I try another pair of headphones, which I did, but that didn't change the outcome. There was still that slight delay.

The XA20 has only been available for a few weeks and Canon probably doesn't have a whole lot of feedback from other owners at this point.

In the meantime, if anyone is experiencing a similar issue, please let me know.

This is the audio feature that allows you to essentially check the audio that was recorded, as opposed to what's coming in, great feature I think

Participant

Sure enough, there is a problem with the XA20 audio output delay.

Canon just released a Firmware Update which "resolves the phenomenon in which the headphone terminal audio ouput timing is delayed when [Normal] is selected as the [Monitor Delay] option."

Unfortunately, this forum wlll not let me cut and paste the link for the update.

If you go to the Canon support site, look for: Download Firmware Version 1.0.3.0 for the XA20

(The XA20 was shipped with Version 1.0.1.0.)

I did the update and the delay problem was solved. 

Participant

BTW, the same fix is there for the XA25.

Again, go to the Canon support site and look for: Download Firmware Version 1.0.3.0 for the XA25

Matt – thanks for keeping everyone updated on this!

Bill

Sadly, with the HF G30 at $1699 and the Sony NEX-VG30 at $2698 you pretty much have to spend more than $3000 to get out of prosumer-land πŸ™‚

Congratulations, VTexan!  Saw your question on tripods in other thread.  We use very expensive Millers at work, but I use a $140 Ravelli AVTP at home.  Light, but all-metal and built like a tank.  Yes, it has a 75mm bowl socket and a bubble level, so you can level it with the adjustment of a single knob below the head.  I especially like the dual handles, for better control of pans and tilts.  This tripod does everything I need it to do – and it costs a lot less than Manfrotto.  You can get an unbranded version of the same tripod and head for $125.

Cheers and good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Matt – according to page 89 of the manual for the XA20 and XA25:

"When you are monitoring the audio, you can choose to synchronize the audio signal with the video signal or monitor the audio in real time. Use the [Monitor Delay] setting to select the method.  Note that there will be a slight delay when you monitor in real time. Regardless of the setting, however, the audio and video signals recorded will be synchronized."

I have this same feature on my Panasonic GH3.  It allows you to hear either what the camera is "hearing" (delayed) – or what the camera has already recorded (no delay).

This can be useful in determining whether the source of an audio issue is external or internal to the camera, but I never use it – it's too distracting.

What amazes me is that Canon Tech Support clearly hadn't read the manual!  I hope you didn't have to pay for that call πŸ™‚

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks for the response.

I did notice that part of the manual (page 89) referencing the different ways to monitor audio.

I tried both options to see if it made any difference.

Setting the [Monitor Delay] function did seem to reduce the "slight delay" — but I'm still hearing it.

Anyway, this isn't a deal breaker and I still like the XA20 overall, so maybe it's just something to get used to when monitoring audio.

Participant

Hi there. There are some issues with the XA25 and one of them is Chromatic Aberations are noticable when shooting against a high contrasted area especially when using more than 50% zoom. Canon dealers are putting this down to "you get what you pay for" in so much as Canon have managed to put a 20X optical zoom on this camera and still keep the price down. Basically the lens is using cheap optics I'm afraid.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap