Canon XA10 vs. Sony HXR-NX30

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have been doing a lot of research on a camera upgrade, I have looked into several different cameras, and it seems that there are so many factors things I never even thought about. I Have narrowed down to the two, understanding that I will have to invest in an XLR mic and some other things that need to be purchased when dealing with an upgrade. I have my eyes on the Canon XA10 and the Sony HXR-NX30. I wanted to ask people on this board, possible users their thoughts. So any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark – You might want to take a look at the $1979 Panasonic AG-AC90. Here is a Slashcam side-by-side of the XA10 and the AC90 (they haven't tested the NX30 yet, so I substituted its big brother, the NX70):

http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare-a1c84188ecf0812bfe8edce0a893c1f2.html

The Panasonic seems to be the clear winner, with the combination of its 1080/60p frame rate, 28mbps bit rate and three 1/4.7" sensors.  Here is what this camera can do:

In the entry-level pro category, the AC90 seems to me to be the best value for the money.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Wondering which route you went as I had the same decision to take and last minute speaking with B&H's help ordered the Sony. They do have a 30 days exchange [I have dealt with B&H for many years].
      The image stabilization is to be the best [yet, really not the most impoprtant factor}, but with a larger sensor, more wide angle, 96 Gig internal…

Will see how that goes.

Thanks.

It sort of depends what your criteria are. I'm 81 and at my age my balance is not what it used to be. I love to travel to Europe and have made a number of HD DVDs of my trips with a Sony Z1. When I go next time I want to travel light, no 20lb camera bag. So lightness and the stablilizer together with XLRs are my criteria.

Participant

[quote=Dave514]

It sort of depends what your criteria are. I'm 81 and at my age my balance is not what it used to be. I love to travel to Europe and have made a number of HD DVDs of my trips with a Sony Z1. When I go next time I want to travel light, no 20lb camera bag. So lightness and the stablilizer together with XLRs are my criteria.

[/quote]

Wondering which route you went as I have been using mine now for a few days. I don't have a verdict yet as I am struggling with the rendering settings/properties [PE11]. I was use to a small S-95 Canon which takes great videos indoor but not outdoor. I am also unfortunetly compairing to my Canon Mark II 5D and of course it is not going to have the same sharpness.

All else is good, great sound. Still trying to figure out the best setting for indoor like Musicians and so forth. It has come out a bit grainy but it is probably my level of knowledge!
      Stay well… Ara

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap