Canon GL1 Audio problems

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I am trying to use an XLR mic with a Cannon GL1. The min input  on the camera is a 1/8 inch input. I tried using a XLR to 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adaptors (3 adaptors total) to get the mic work but I did not have any luck. I even ran the mic off of its phantom power and still had no luck. I know that the mic input does work because I tried using a regular 1/8 inch mic on it and it worked. Has anyone had this issue before? Any ideas on what I should do?

Many Thanks

You probably need an isolation transformer between the mic ( under its own power ) and the first adapter in your chain. Truely " Phantom " power involves sending a positive voltage to the mic on pins 2 and 3, with the coresponding negative applied to pin 1. Adapting an XLR connection down to 1/8" involves shorting either pin 2 or pin 3 to the ground ( shield ) pin 1, thus " unbalancing " the mic's signal, and in the process, shorting out the Phentom power to the mic. Inserting an isolation transformer BEFORE pins 2 or 3 get connected to ground will assure that the mic will get the power it needs.   Rick Crampton

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap