Canon G30 v Others revisited at new Prices

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and need advice. I have read the posts regarding the G30/20, Panasonic X920 (with some mentions of a JVC brand) verses DSLR etc. As many of these past posts were primarily mid 2013 and considering new price points for these models and the arrival of new models in the next month I’d like to revisit the issue based on my specific requirements. I’m posting now because I’m ready to buy. What I’m doing I’m setting up a prosumer level audio/video studio. My strong suite is audio and computer hardware/software. Camera skills are very weak. Moving from Windows to the mac platform is sucking up my budget i.e. new computer and hardware. Type of Video Work: 1. Business presentations (viewed on tablets and conference room TV/Monitors) 2. Music videos and “infomercial” type pieces (:10 – :15 length) both low budget. This will be for the internet and Youtube type sites. Settings for shooting Video: 1. 75% will be shot in studio in front of green screen 2. Balance of work will be bright outdoors (shooting construction sites and existing buildings) and of less importance shooting live music in club type settings. Important Camera Considerations: 1. Ease of camera use – I’m figuring a camcorder for now. DSLR or other type feasible in 12 months. 2. Chromakey work. Although the camera budget is tight, killing myself making up for it in post isn’t worth saving a few bucks. 3. Considering my lack of camera skills I’m assuming that buying two of the same camera’s (which I know I need) would ease my burden on that end but can I also expect other benefits like both camera’s outputting close to identical footage (a major benefit for minimizing post work) or at this price point am I more likely to end up with footage that almost appears to be shot by different camera types? Purchasing Questions In Nov. 2013 I had pretty much decided on the Canon G30 over the Panasonic x920. With new camera’s coming out next month will prices drop meaningfully on 2013 models? I’m reading the new canon’s offer very little and the smart move would be a 2013 model G30. However, the G30 is sitting tight at $1,400 but I’m seeing the x920 at $740. If the cost normally drops do the models go fast? Is there a small window to buy that I might miss? At this point I’m leaning towards buying two x920 and keeping my eye open for a price drop and maybe grabbing a third one. Considering the type of work I’m going to do (I’m really concerned about the chromakey) should I be looking at something else entirely? Thanks for your help and I will be posting back with a newbies take on jumping in.

Hi looney_tunes, and welcome to the forum!  I recommend you save yourself some money and get the $739 X920. It does a great job with a key:

The only advantage the $1399 HF G30 has, in my view, is that it looks cooler, with the lens shade and the longer lens.  But almost $700 extra for a better looking camera is way too much money.  I put a $50 matte box on my Panasonic TM900, and it looks just as good πŸ™‚

Good luck with your project!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks for your response and sorry for the long dissertation; that was me changing my mind after I'd already decided on the G30. I'll take your advice, buy two of the x920's, the $50 hood and some cheap sunglasses and look just as cool!

Regarding extra batteries am I ok with generic like Wasabi or should I stick with Panasonic?

What memory card do you recommend?

What about a tripod, the one in your photo looks pretty good?

Thanks for your help.

Glad I could help.  Yep, all you need is a matte box and sunglasses and you're a filmmaker πŸ™‚

On batteries – I've used a $27 2800mah Wasabi on my TM900 for the last two years and pretty much never take it off the camera.  The little Panasonic battery that came with the camera sits in my camera bag gathering dust.

These days, I recommend Kingston SDXC cards – they sell a 128GB card for $86 that I use in my GH3.  Good value for money.

The tripod in the picture is a $120 Ravelli AVTP Professional.  Smooth, simple fluid head, dual handles for more control, two quick release plates, 75mm professional "bowl" leveling that allows you to level the camera without adjusting the legs.  Very rugged all-metal tripod that will last you a long time.  I've had mine since June of '12, and it has survived airline overhead luggage compartments and the back of my Jeep. I guess you can tell, I love this tripod.  Also very good value for your money.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Please follow us on Blogger, YouTube and G+

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites β€” 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap