CANON G20 VS CANON G30 VS SONY PJ790V…..FIGHT!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So i have been using a t2i and t3i with 40mm, 50mm, and 18-55mm lens for a while now. They have done some great video for me, but im always challenged when im moving with the camera and slow motion. So i have decided to spend some money and investing into a prosumer camcorder. i have decided between the…

Canon g20, canon g30 and sony pj790v. There are not a lot of comparison and in hand reviews online. Found this site, and hopefully you guys can help. your opinions would help me very much!

Thanks in advance!

Hi harv, and welcome to the forum!  Here is a chart from slashcam in Germany with a side-by-side comparison of the HF G20, HF G30, PJ790 (and I've thrown in the Panasonic X920):

http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare-2b2f5756edb7f899b780c70eaac4bf37.html

They use European model numbers, but the HF G25 is the same camera as the HF G20 (same for the PJ780/790 and the Panasonic X929/920).

If your budget supports it, I would get the $1699 HF G30.  With its 35mbps bit rate, multiple codecs and 1080/60p, it is the best consumer camcorder on the market.  The only downside to this camera is its price.  In fact, for $10 more, you can buy a pro Panasonic AG-AC90 with XLR mic inputs.

If the HF G30 is too expensive, I recommend you save yourself some money and get the $859 Panasonic X920.  Unlike the $999 HF G20, it has wi-fi, a standard hot shoe and shoots at 1080/60p for smooth action shots and slow motion.

Its advantages over the $1598 PJ790 are: price, a standard hot shoe and built-in wi-fi.

With the standard hot shoe, the HF G30 and X920 are compatible with all of the shoe mounted accessories you already have for your DSLRs.

The "Mini Advanced Shoe" on the HF G20 and the "Multi-Interface Shoe" on the PJ790 are non-standard proprietary shoes and would require adapters.

One more thought.  To keep the large sensor, "shallow depth of field" look you're accustomed to with your DSLRs, have you thought about getting an interchangeable lens camcorder?

You can get a Sony NEX-VG20 body for $1599 (less than the HF G30).  With a $399 Metabones EF to NEX adapter, you can use your existing Canon lenses with full aperture control.

I have shot with the VG20, and the images are as 'cinematic' as from any DSLR.

Here is what it can do:

Narrative:

http://vimeo.com/38673429

Documentary:

http://vimeo.com/43708481

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks!!! Im really considering the Panasonic. I found it for under $900 which is awesome! Some things im worried about is finding a lens hood (big reason im looking at a prosumer camcorder) and does the x920 have built in memory? How many slots does it have? 

Participant

okay, so ive decided to spend the little extra cash and get the hf g30. im going to a local camera store, and theyre giving me a free rode videomic with the lycote suspension kit. 

Participant

does anyone know if you can record directly onto a hard drive with the g30?

Participant

Hey Folks, what do you think of each of the following cameras for a movie shoot? Can anyone link me to previews?

1. Canon XA25 Professional Camcorder

2. Sony HXR-N30U Palm Size NXCAM HD camcorder with Projector & 96gb HDD

3. Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional Video Camcorder

4. Canon XF105

5. Panasonic HDC-Z10000 HD Camcorder PAL

Hi harv – my camera, the 2011 Panasonic TM900M, has 32GB of internal memory, and so did the 2012 X900M – but Panasonic decided not to sell a 2013 X920 model with internal memory in the States.  So the short answer is no – the only model sold in the States is the single slot X920 without internal memory. (please click here to find one at Amazon for $859 [as of this post]).

That said, I have a Kingston 128GB card in one of my cameras.  I can't imagine needing any more memory than that:)

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

harv, I apologize. I just realized I didn't answer your lens hood question.  Yes, the Panasonic HC-X920 has a threaded lens with a 49mm filter diameter and can take filters, lens hoods and screw-in matte boxes such as the $50 aIR-Matte A2 Matte Box that I use.

Here is a picture of this matte box on my TM900:

Again, hope this is helpful.

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap