Canon 6d vs Sony FDR-AX33

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      joel222

I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I already own a canon 6d and use it to video my kids thai boxing fights. I was wondering if I’d be better of with a Sony FDR-AX33 or similar? I keep reading that dslr’s aren’t best for making video but would a cheap video camera be better? I don’t want to spend a lot or have something big and professional looking either. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Erling46
      Participant

In my opion AX-33 is a perfect camera for the amature that make mostly home movies, but which to have some control without spending a lot of money. It can record in 4K which is nice the day when you get a 4K TV, which you probably will in the next two years.
      The camera has the BEST stabilation currently found on any low-end video-camera that I’m aware of.
      If you plan to film outside in sunlight maybe buy two ND filters (if you know what they are used for). The camera seems to overexpose a little for my taste, so I always set the AE shift -1.
      You find lots of reviews on YouTube for this camera. It also can record at 50 fps, so you can make some nice slow motion (only i HD).
      You can set many option on manual, and change then with the ring, like focus, zoom, exposure and so on. But only one at a time.

Personaly I think a videocamera is better for making videos than dslr’s, but that is my taste. I think you will easely find people saying the oposite.

Andy
      Participant

I just got an AX33. Sold a Nikon D7100 DSLR. As previously stated, the BOSS (Balanced Output Stabilization System) is incredible. Best in any class of hand held camcorder. In addition, on-board (2/5 channel) mics are stellar for close in shooting. 4K is fantastic for being able to software based zooms and pans. Looked real hard at diff between AX33 and AX100. Tried both. Many say that the AX33 is tops as consumer camcorder, but speaking as a professional videographer, why spend $2000 when a $1000 camera gives you 98% of what you need.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Open Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN