Canon 600D v Canon XL1

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      garyjay
      Participant

Hi Guys
      I see a lot of peIple asking whether the Canon XL1 is still a good camera to buy or should they choose a DSLR?

Well, as some if you know I moved from my trusty Canon Xl1 to a Canon 600D to step into the world of HD and this is what I have found.

There is no getting away from the crystal clear quality you can get from the Canon 600D due to it filming in full HD. The other plus side is that its a lot more portable than the XL1 and much better in low light conditions.

If you add the Magic Lantern software into the mix, the 600D becomes a great bit of kit, although I am still working my way around that.

But I still find the XL1 produces great film even though it is SD and not HD. I do feel the XL1 gives you better control when focusing in etc and feels like a film camera should.

The audio on the XL1 is great as you are going straight into the camera by XLR, rather than using an external recorder and that’s what the 600d lacks as its audio source is in the form of a 3,5 jack which arnt that great.

Also, to the untrained public eye the XL1 camera it’s self looks how a film camera should and it makes you look like a pro etc lol.

So if I had to choose, I would suppose I would have to say the 600D is the one to go for simply because of great picture quality and how mobile it is…. Plus especially because the XL1 costs around £400 second hand and the 600D is £500 brand new.

mhageman
      Inactive

Hello garyjay

The DSLR has it's advantages and will probably be the equipment of choice in the future for most shooters. We agree about the portability and the down side of the audio. We wonder how long it will be before they start adding XLR to DSLRs? Now that would be a welcome addition, but then again, the body and portability might change. 

Laughing over your comment about the "pro" look that the XL1 gives…so true, heads turn when you walk around with a professional looking camcorder with all the bells and whistles. Nothing will take the place of that. ha ha

Thanks for the comments,

Good luck and happy shooting.

Cheers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN