Canon 5D Mark III HACKED Shooting RAW

Viewing 4 reply threads

Pretty cool.  I am a GH3 shooter and have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera on order, but neither of these cameras are full frame.

I wasn't all that interested in the 5D Mark III – but this changes things.  I did a blog post on it here.

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Awesome man, you think you'll make the switch?

I probably will.  Look at this – it looks like it was shot on an Arri Alexa, for crying out loud (watch at 1080p – download from Neumann FIlms for full effect):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm8A7FH2Qg4

Not bad for a camera you can get new for $2900 from 6th Ave Express via eBay.

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I acquired a used 5D MKII from an eBay seller a while back and am considering Magic Lantern. The software adds a lot of functionality. One of the changes after the upgrade is the MKII can write to 64GB CF cards. For long shoots, this would be useful. 

All CF cards are pricier than SD cards, so if you're serious about DSLR vide, you'd probably want a solid high speed card. They do come with a big prize tag.

Here's the Magic Lantern site: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

The eBay purchase was $1200. Not bad for a camera that still sells for more than $1800 used. It does have 183,000 shutter activations, but I'm using it to get comfortable with DSLR video.

That is some amazing footage. However, it looks like you can only shoot at 24p. 48p would have been nice for slow-mo work.

I would love some slow motion options as well. Maybe they'll add some to the firmware in the future 😀

Gotta love magic lantern. Has anyone actually tried this out though? Seems like you need a super expensive CF card to make it work?

-3D

That's a great price for a used 5D Mark II, Ed – congratulations!  Please post your results when you can.  It would be great to see how RAW from the classic Mark II stacks up against the Mark III.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

• Viewing 4 reply threads

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
    homicide-bootstrap