Canadian Band In Desperate Need Of Video Help!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey folks!

My name is Dan, and I'm in a Canadian indie trio called the Morals.  We have been getting some success as of late, and received a grant to shoot a music video (view it here: Youtube).  The editor has worked on projects for Bravo and CBC, so we have a real chance of using his connections to get our video played on TV.  However, the MuchMusic website has a VERY specific set of guidelines for video submissions (view them here: Guidelines

So we have this product, and we have exposure (we played at two high profile Canadian festivals this year: CMW and NXNE), but we need to go a step further and get this thing to the masses!  We are looking for someone who has the skills to edit the video to meet the guidelines, the foresight to see a cool opportunity, and the heart to do it for next to nothing.  If necesary, we could always draft a letter of intent for future payment based on airtime, etc.  

We are recording a new album with a rising producer from Toronto (who is also working with a solo member of Broken Social Scene) and we expect to be on our second East Coast tour by early spring.  In other words, we have no intention of slowing down and our goals are high, so take a leap of faith – we won't forget your generosity!

Peace 🙂

Participant

You are confusing me. You say the editor of the video has done projects for Bravo and CBC. If so he should be fully aware of requirements for broadcast footage and the video might already be acceptable. Did you ask him if the settings he edited with match? By the way, I like your sound and will keep an eye on you guys!

Participant

First of all, I LOVE the song, keep up the great work!

There must be more to this journey than you've expressed to us so far – Why won't your original editor accommodate the specifications?

Now, if the video was shot in standard definiton, you'll need to reshoot or put up with a smaller screen size…I'm not certain that would be accepted…although they also request music videos downconvert for SD…

You could view this as an opportunity, rather than a setback.  Going for a second shoot will allow you to improve upon the first or change it altogether.

If you would, PM me with the lyrics, so I can envision what your song is all about.

Participant

Hi Dan,

First, I love the song. Would love to help out but you would need the original file or project in the format required other than what has been uploaded to youtube. The standards call for a 4:2:2 color space file in the 50mbs range without artifacts from compression. If you have that, then all there really is to do is subtitle it and set it up with bars, tone and black space.

If you have a high quality version I can help ya, if not it would produce poor artifacts and probably not make broadcast. I'm sure they have a small fee for downloading but if you have that I can help.

Woody

Participant

Email sent

Participant

Wow what a great track. I would love to help out-unfortunately I am in Cape Town South Africa and we operate on a different platform/standard (PAL 25fps). Good luck for the future, you guys need to get here (where the sun shines).

Participant

Heh, thanks Peter!  No joke, I've always wanted to visit South Africa and would LOVE it if our lives took us there!  We bordered a young college student from Pretoria a while back, and her pictures from home blew my mind. Such a unique history, too.

Cheers

Participant

I'm sure many of the specifications are the same (with the exception of Closed Captioning, SD backup, time coding, etc.) but when I asked him about it he said we would need to go with a post production company.  Truthfully I suspect that due to his hectic schedule, he might not have given it much thought and likely much of the work is already done.  Thanks for the response and glad you enjoy the tune!

Participant

Hmmm, I tried to PM you with no success.  It said "Ed Rogers will not accept this message.  Enter at least one valid user." 

Participant

Hi Woody – thanks you so much for offering to help!!  I just send the director a text asking her to post the full HD uncompressed version to my Mediafire account for a quick and secure file transfer. Hopefully that method works for you, if not I'm open to suggestions!  Truly grateful for your help 🙂

I tried to PM you, but getting an error.  Anyway we could trade email addresses?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap