Can I shoot “Broadcast Quality” with Prosumer Camcorder?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders Can I shoot “Broadcast Quality” with Prosumer Camcorder?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I've been shooting web videos for a couple of years with a Canon Vixia G10 camcorder.

I have a possible project lined up, but they client wants to know if they can use the b-roll for other purposes, including 'television'. (I'm not certain what they plan on; I'm guessing neither do they… but possibly commercial spots, which would likely be national, as they're a major company.)

The G10 has onboard scopes so I can keep peaks, etc. in line to be FCC legal… but is that really 'broadcast quality'? It's only 28mbps.  

If I shot with a borrowed Canon 5D with good lenses, would that be a much better upgrade?

Participant

Broadcast quality is a relative term. You could say that anything that's broadcast on TV is broadcast quality. Therefore America's Funniest Home Videos could be considered broadcast quality. The crappy camerawork of The Office is considered broadcast quality.

Participant

As Len says, broadcast quality is a relative term. All networks have technical standards that a content provider has to meet. The Canon 5D would give you much better picture quality than your Canon Vixia.

Don't sell yourself short either. If the client is willing to "use the b-roll for other purposes", then you need to revise your rate for that footage.

Mike

Participant

Although for most networks, 28 Mbps 1920×1080 material would be considered non-HD, especially for inter-frame sources (such as H.264/MP4/MPEG-2) where the broadcast standard calls for 50Mbps as a minimum, or for intra-frame compressions (DVCPROHD/AVC-Intra/HDCAM) where the minimum is 100Mbps.

Participant

From what I've been able to ascertain, it depends on the TV station so you're better off finding out exactly where he plans to use the footage and asking them. The big concern is whether the video will fall apart under all the harsh signal processing that happens in the broadcast chain from your camera, through the TV station, the transmitter or cable system, the air, and down into the actual television where there's a whole other level of processing.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap