camera upgrade

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking to upgrade my camera from a canon t2i. to what I dont know.

some of the cameras I am looking at is a gh4 or sony a7

also canon 70d is an option or possible a 5d mark 11.

price is an option I want to spend no more than 2k

I need a camera that is both good for video and still.

I so lost looking at camera reviews.

So it sounds like you want to stay with DSLRs or MILCs.  By limiting your budget to $2,000, you've eliminated the Sony A7s.  You could get a GH4, but unless you already have MFT lenses, you'll probably end up going over budget.  So that's out.  The 5D Mark II has been discontinued, and it's successor, the 5D Mark III is about $2,300 just for the body.  So that's out.  So by process of elimination, you are looking at the Canon 70D.  I've not used it, but it gets some pretty good reviews.  It will probably do well for you, although that's hard to say, because I really don't know what you plan to do with it.  My local CostCo has it for about $1,300, and it includes 2 different lenses.  You might see if your local CostCo has the same package.

Hi mlewy – I have to respectfully disagree with my friend, mcrockett.  You should avoid a moire-prone 1080p Canon 70D because it has no headphone jack, no focus peaking plus, like all DSLRs, it has an optical viewfinder that goes blank when you're shooting video.

Instead, I recommend you consider a camera with 4 times the HD resolution of your T2i – with a high quality lens (and/or an inexpensive adapter that will allow you to use your Canon lenses) – all for less than $2000. 

Two cameras in your price range meet these criteria.

The number one camera I would recommend is the Panasonic GH4. This camera shoots 4K video for hours continuously (like a camcorder), has an electronic viewfinder that keep working while you're recording video (again, like a camcorder), is almost moire-free (especially in 4K) and its 1080/96fps slow motion is a great creative tool.  It is less than $1700 for a camera body plus a small accessory kit that includes an SD card and camera bag.

You can get a $31 adapter with built-in manual aperture control and continue using your Canon EF lenses with this camera.  Add a $200 Sigma 19mm f2.8 for low light work and you'll stay under $2000.

Shooters are getting results like these with the GH4, Canon EF lenses and inexpensive adapters with built-in aperture control:

And here is Panasonic's introductory promo video (please select 2160p quality on YouTube and watch at your monitor's highest resolution):

I upgraded from the T2i to a GH camera about 4 years ago, and it was the smartest camera decision I've made in 40 years of shooting stills and video.

The other camera you may want to consider is the brand new $1499 (body only) Samsung NX1 with a $196 18-55 kit lens and a $269 16mm f2.4 fast, wide pancake.  For less than $2000, this would be a very good value for your money.

This camera records video at 4K, has the larger APS-C sensor (like your T2i) and is likely to have better low light performance than the GH4.

That said, it is limited to 30 minutes of continuous recording (better than your T2i's 12 minute recording limit – but not as good as the GH4, which can record for hours continuously).

It also has a tilting LCD rather than the GH4's fully articulated rotating LCD (which allows you to flip the screen forward and see yourself when you are in the scene).

Because this camera is so new, there isn't a lot of test footage – but here is Samsung's introductory promo video (again, please select 2160p quality on YouTube and watch at your monitor's highest resolution):

Bottom line – for $2000, you can upgrade to a camera that gives you better image quality and is a little more future-proof than a 1080p Canon.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap