Camera recording distortions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hello!

I have a Sony HXR-NX5U camera that I’ve used for the past 4 or 5 years.
      This camera has done a great job for us.

I record videos to an detachable 128GB Hard Drive (HXR-FMU128).
      Up until yesterday this camera has recorded like a champ.

Yesterday I recorded an instructor for about an hour and a half. Most of the clips were short 5-10 minute clips, some even shorter.

At random intervals, I’m seeing a distortion happening in various places around the image.
      I checked the files right on the hard drive and the distortion is there, so it’s not a file copy issue.

The distortion only lasts a fraction of a second, but it is distracting.

My issue is – I don’t know what causes that. Is it the storage? Is it the camera?
      I have a screenshot i could show you, but i’m not sure the best way to share it.

Anyway – any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you!

-Steve

Try to record directly to the camera’s built-in Memory Stick. If you don’t see artifacts on there, then it’s the connection to the hard drive or the drive itself. Try a new cable to the hard drive. If that doesn’t fix it, try a new hard drive. Start with the cheap fix and work your way to more expensive. Barring that, it sounds like it may be a hardware issue with the camera. Hope not!

Chris Sebes
      Senior Video Editor
      http://www.MediaMixStudios.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap