Camera Recommendations for Stimulus Recordings

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      shatha01
      Participant

Hi all,

I'm a graduate student who conducts research in audiovisual speech perception. I record my own stimuli for my experiments, and I'm currently doing projects related specifically to visual mouth movements and manipulating their duration–but since we currently record with a 29.97 fps camera, manipulating duration is a challenge because there aren't a lot of frames to work with during speech articulation. I'm looking to upgrade our current video camera (a Panasonic AG-HMC70P) to a camera that can record at higher frame rates so that we have more flexibility with our manipulations without severely degrading the quality of the video.

Since I'm very much a novice when it comes to purchasing video cameras, I'm not 100% sure what will be the best option for an upgrade, but I do know a few features that I'm definitely looking for, and a few models I've been considering.

1. Recording at 59.94 fps in 1080p, if possible (720p would also be acceptable if necessary). The capaciy to record at variable frame rates would be a plus.

2. XLR output, since we use one of our lab's external microphones to record the voice

3. High image quality, since mouth movements are relatively small and we want them to be as clear as possible

To give you an idea of the set-up, we record in a sound-attenuated, dark room using studio lights and a black backdrop. The speaker is seated behind a table with the microphone on top, and we record the audio simultaneously with the video using the XLR. The camera is set up on a tripod and trained on just her face.

There's no set standard for recording equipment in my area of research, so I've been considering both consumer and professional models (as long as they're around $1500 or less). My ideal would be the Panasonic HC-X1000, but it's a little out of our price range. Other options we're considering are the Panasonic AG-AC90A, Canon XF105, or Panasonic HC-V770, but I'm open to other suggestions if there's a different brand/model that would be superior.

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions that you can give me regarding an appropriate camera for my purposes. Thanks in advance!

brunerww

If you want super 1080p slow motion, as seen here:

…and the ability to record at 4 times the resolution of 1080p at standard frame rates, as seen here:

…you might want to consider the new Sony DSC-RX10 II, which you can pre-order for $1298 on June 17th.

If you have a battery powered or dynamic XLR mic that doesn't need external ("phantom") power, you can plug it directly into the camera with a $16 Hosa MIT-156 XLR to 3.5mm transformer/adapter.

If you can't wait for the release of the RX10 II and can live with 1080/120fps, as seen here:

…and ultra high definition images that look like this:

…you might want to consider the $740 Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 instead. It is available now.

This camera records at 4 times the resolution of any of the cameras on your list (except the HC-X1000 – but the FZ1000 costs a lot less).

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your research!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN