Camera advices

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everyone…

I am going to buy my new pro camcorder and so before I can purchase one, I wanted to seek advice from you guys being experts..

Basically there are two main purposes for my would be camera… Wedding/Events and Independent feature film. that’s it, nothing else….

That’s why I was wondering if any one can propose me a model perfect for these two purposes.. A camera good in picture quality, good even in low light condition i mean in a whole, a good pro camcorder.

thanks in advance guys

Hi Nitesh – the best large sensor, shoulder mounted interchangeable lens camera for both weddings and independent cinema is the new Sony PXW-FS7.  You can get it body only for $7999 or with the 28-135mm constant f4 power zoom lens for $10,499.

Here is what this camera can do at 4K (please watch at your monitor's highest resolution);

Sony Promo VIdeo:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

hi brunerww…  fanks for replying dude…

well zis cameras is a precious gem for videographers… but the price is a bit too high…

do you hve any suggestion for any camera that would be in the range maximum of my budget like $ 8000…

thanks dude and again fanks 4 zat info

Hey brunerww,

I've yet to read a good review on the new URSA cameras. What if he went a bit lower and got the Blackmagic production 4K camera? He would spend about half as much money and still get a great camera. What do you think? Do you have any experience with it?

Participant

I would highly recommend the Sony HXR-NX5, which can be purchased for around $3800.  This is one of the most popular solid state camcorders in the world for event/corporate videographers.  Affordable and highly professional.  ~Keith

Sorry Nitesh, I didn't know what your budget was.  If you want a cinema camera below $8000 that can also do weddings, I recommend the $5995 Blackmagic URSA EF mount with the $345 shoulder mount kit as pictured here: https://images.blackmagicdesign.com/media/products/ursa/accessories/batteries.jpg

You'll also need a couple of $180 CFast 2.0 cards, a $50 Sandisk Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 Reader/Writer, a $185 V mount battery plate and a V mount battery solution of some kind (I would get a couple of $10 Sony NP-F550 batteries, a $50 NP-F to V-mount adapter and a $17 dual battery charger).

With $349 Rokinon 14mm T3.1, $479 Rokinon 35mm T1.5 and $309 Rokinon 85mm T1.5 lenses, you will have a very capable Super 35mm camera for a little over $8000 – with Ultra High Definition "4K" at 60fps, built-in XLR jacks, the ability to record to 12-bit RAW or 10-bit ProRes and image quality that looks like this:

And here's a nice box opening and sample video from Adorama TV:

This camera is heavier than the Sony FS7, and doesn't have the nice power zoom lens, but it will give you absolutely the best combination of image quality and usability you can get for your money in this price range.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

I shoot with the Pocket Cinema Camera and have not shot with the URSA yet – but I have had nothing but good results from my Blackmagic camera (and there's a lot of naysaying about the BMPCC online too :)).

That said, here are a few positive reviews from folks with hands on experience:

https://shoutchorus.squarespace.com/blog/2014/9/17/a-weekend-with-ursa

http://camcorders.reviewed.com/content/blackmagic-ursa-first-impressions-review

If the choice is between the URSA and the Production Camera, I would rather shoot with a camera like the URSA that has real XLR jacks for my mics and records to dual CFast sized cards instead of a single SSD.

Yes, it's heavy and yes, the huge LCD is weird – but with a relatively inexpensive shoulder mount accessory (and a few weeks at the gym) I can rent one, put it on my shoulder and start shooting.

I plan to try one soon and will let you know how it goes.

Best,

Bill

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap