Camcorder upgrade suggestions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all, Long time reader, first time poster. I currently use the Canon XL2 SD camcorder. I want to upgrade to full HD. I want all of the manual features that the XL2 has. I'm creating presentation videos for historical preservation societies of historic homes and landmarks. I want to shoot theses videos in a cinematic style and looking for a versitle camera (non DSLR ) This camera will be used as hand held and with a doorway dolly, slider dolly and jib crane. I have a $5000 – $6000 budget any suggestions would be appricieated.

Hi Mike – if by "cinematic" you mean the shallow depth-of-field look, you will want to upgrade to a large sensor in a camcorder body.

In your price range, I recommend the 8-bit $4899 Canon C100 camcorder (body-only) with a Super 35mm CMOS sensor.  This camera has a 4K sensor and downscales the image internally to 1080p HD to tell stories that look like this:

If you want a Super 35mm sensor plus a global shutter to completely eliminate CMOS skew, the $5995 Blackmagic Ursa EF 4K cinema camera (body only) will do the job.  This camera outputs 4K (4 times the resolution of HD), but you can downscale to HD in post, if that's all you need.  It also records 60p slow motion if you need it, something the C100 cannot do. This camera can tell stories that look like this:

Either of these cameras will produce stunning, cinematic quality images, but they'll take a little getting used to if you're coming from a traditional small sensor camcorder with a built-in power zoom lens and deep depth-of-field.

Hope this is helpful and best of luck with your upgrade!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap