Camcorder for recording dances

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello!

I’m looking for a high quality camcorder for recording dances, dance covers, etc. usually outside. I want at least 720p quality, and high enough frame rate so that it has as little motion blur as possible. I’m not sure if 30 FPS should be enough, or if I should go for 60.

What I’m doing is just putting it on a tripod and dancing in front of it, is there any particular lens that would let me not have to move the camera back as far? I’m planning on doing some indoor recordings, where room might be a problem. Is around 5 feet enough space away from the camera to capture my whole body? I know next to nothing about camcorders, please bear with me.

I don’t want something that’s going to be automatically re-focusing all the time, and hopefully the sky won’t be too bright and make everything else look really dark. Is waterproof necessary for recording in heavy rain? I’m not going to be submerging it or anything.

Thanks!

No one has any recommendations?

Participant

I think it’s because we’re not that sure what you want to do? Recording dances and dance covers? So there I was thinking you were in the dance studio with all that flat lighting trying to make it beautiful and fluid, then you don;t want motion blur and are worrying about the sun? Then the rain?

I don’t know what you actually want at all. If outside – why the 5ft in front of the camera? To be honest, one of the cheap chinese gopro looking cameras could be ideal. They are wide angle, so you can go closer, and focus is not an issue. They produce lovely looking pictures in bright sunlight and waterproofing isn’t a problem. Most give you 30 or 60fps choices for just a few pounds.

My questions are to do with purpose. Tripod mounted shots are steady accurate and boring. Hand held can be interesting and full of dynamics. Overhead can be good – but – what kind of dance? Ballet rarely responds well to faster shutter speeds, never looking as fluid and graceful. Street dance with fast angular movements works better with higher speeds, also enabling slow motion of sorts if appropriate. Personally, you need a camera operator to keep the frame filled. It’s not good to have close to the camera stuff big and in your face, yet distant and imprecise when you dance away. 720p if used properly can give excellent results, even though being a little old hat now – but if your final product will be on small screens or tablets, or worse – DVD, then you end up with smaller formats anyway, with their disadvantages. So what is it you want to do – and we can help with the technicalities. I see loads of dance in my job, and most dancer produced video lacks the movement they do so well with their bodies – usually looks like security camera footage.

Silly me, I apologize for not making myself clear!
      I’m going to be doing stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjcZ0DTYmDI
      Worrying about motion blur might be negligible with today’s cameras, but I currently have an old camcorder that doesn’t even have a company name on it and an old Olympus FE-120. My dancing is usually more fast and sudden street dancing, more like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJpFe8DmH5k and when I tried to record myself on those cameras the motion blur made it hard to see my movements.
      I’m also going to be recording inside a little, which is why I’m concerned about distance. Now that I think of it it’s probably more like around 10 feet, though. I’ll just be uploading it to YouTube, and my computer has trouble handling video over 720p, so I thought that would be sufficient.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap