buying right computer for video editing

aashish's picture

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a computer for my video editing (1080p but 4k in near future), from my childhood my dream was to buy a macbook
my budget is around INR 60000 can macbook air with 1.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor; 8GB DDR3 RAM; 128GB storage; 13.3-inch screen, Intel HD 6000 Graphics; Mac OS X operating system; 12 hours battery life is good for smooth and fast video editing?

or i go for pc not mac

pls advice me i am confused that in my budget which one is better mac or pc

some say mac is the best as it has better optimization etc

pls advice me
thanks in advance
thanks

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

Mac computers have limitations as to what programs can run on it, and the Video Editing programs that can run on it are mucho money, very expensive. With new owner of Sony Vegas Video Editor on the PC side, there has been a Price drop, to get the same on PC you can spend much less.
I run Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and Windows 7 Pro an a Desktop with an ASUS Motherboard, an Intel I7 CPU and 16 GB Ram and 12 TB Hard Drive space in the computer. I have NAS sitting beside my Desktop that has 18 GB of storage, it is an old tower with the same motherboard my computer has, running FreeNas OS.
I run KDenlive on the Linux side and Corel VideoStudioX10 on the Windows side. All this has cost me about half of what a MAC computer alone with that much Horsepower would have cost

Palladini

Ontario Canada

tommybadger's picture

Start out by learning how to use proxy files. That way the computer you use will matter much less—especially with 4K. Second, you can run Davinci Resolve for free and it's the best editing software on the planet—though it does lack some features. Adobe Premiere Elements is a pretty great software as well and fairly cheap. I have no experience with Vegas, but people seem to love it too.
The best way to buy a computer is to find out what your video editing friends use and just buy that same computer because you can then share tips and help each other solve problems.
I wouldn't go with a MacBook Air, the graphics cards aren't really that great. If you want to go Mac, consider a 2-year-old iMac or MacBook Pro. They can be fairly cheap, have great screens, and with 32 gigs of RAM do pretty well.
But the main thing: proxy files.

tommybadger's picture

Start out by learning how to use proxy files. That way the computer you use will matter much less—especially with 4K. Second, you can run Davinci Resolve for free and it's the best editing software on the planet—though it does lack some features. Adobe Premiere Elements is a pretty great software as well and fairly cheap. I have no experience with Vegas, but people seem to love it too.
The best way to buy a computer is to find out what your video editing friends use and just buy that same computer because you can then share tips and help each other solve problems.
I wouldn't go with a MacBook Air, the graphics cards aren't really that great. If you want to go Mac, consider a 2-year-old iMac or MacBook Pro. They can be fairly cheap, have great screens, and with 32 gigs of RAM do pretty well.

tommybadger's picture

wideangle's picture

I am a small youtuber and also work full time so time and money both are in short supply for me. :)
My current editing rig specs are:
Intel Core2Duo E8400 Proc ( 3 MB L2 Cache, 3.0 Ghz)
8 GB RAM
nVidia GTX 1060 3GB Video card
128GB Primary SSD for OS and application
1 TB HDD for output files ( non SSD)
1 TB HDD for RAW files( non SSD)
500 GB HDD for scratch disk and Cache for Adobe products ( non SSD)

Till last week I was using ATI RAdeon 4870 2GB Video card and my videos are FHD and rendered in Premier Pro and are around 5-7 min max only. With my ATI card, I used to get it around 15-18 min render time, ( Final output render ) with only a few basic transitions, Chroma key, and few images here and there. So basically nothing complicated in the video.
Now, we have been reading about Adobe working fine for nvidia cards and support for CUDA and all that, I spent my hard earned money on the costly GTX 1060 3 G card,( its expensive for me for sure as I had to shell out half my monthly salary) So now in premier I have that card listed for CUDA support. All looks great but :
My render times have not at all improved !!!
not even a single second has changed
I now get around 20 min as final output render
In handbrake, where I use it to bring down the premier file to 720p and lower size for Yoputube, its taking even more time than ever !!!
with exact same setup and only ATI card in place, I used to get the Handbrake work for same videos in 15-20 min and now with same setup and nvidia card in place its taking 60 min !!!

My question is: Where did i go wrong?
I havent changed anything apart from the Video card, to make it better but it turned out worse
I dont see any video engine use when i use app called GPUZ to track the video card performance while rendering
I cant invest now in CPU and motherboard so that will remain for a few more months, but I need to know what went wrong as my render times have increased?
Any help/guidance would be appreciated?
Should I sell the card and get back to ATI?
Should I sell the card for a loss and invest in cheaper nvidia card as its not making any diff?

music234's picture

This is the website that i have been using to get the gta cheats at http://mygtacheats.com that can add money to this for free money here.

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

Wideangle, I think the bottle neck in your system is the CPU. When I render a Video and open my System Monitor, all 8 cores are being used, yours with 2 cores is the what is slowing you down.

Palladini

Ontario Canada

LimeWood's picture

Personally I only use a mac, however I don't use a macBook as I much prefer to have a larger screen, I currently work on a 27 Inch 1TB iMac, with a i7 core and 16Gb Ram. Its great I can run all the program I need to on it and not have issues with slow performance. Also If you are using adobe it works seamlessly with all their program from my experience. Also you can get a refurbished Mac straight from Apple so they end up being very reasonably priced.

http://limewoodproductions.co.uk