Buying a Dell Workstation T7600

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi guy, I’m new in this forum, my name is mario and I’m an editor and 2d compositor with AE and Combustion. For editing I use Avid MC.

The reason to get into this forum is becaise I saw the great review videomaker did on the Dell Precision T7600.

I’m planning to buy one of them, but the one that you reviewed was top notch, about $12,000.  The one I will order is $6,000, half of that.

Normally I work with HD footage but I want to have enough power to handle 4k if necessary.

Question I have is about graphic card, processor and what is must have in a workstaion like this because for me it’s a lot of money and I have to be careful and make no mistakes making the order.

Checkin the avid graphic cards specifications, the recommend a Nvidia Quadro 2gb 4000. I want to put a dual of that, two of them or the Quadro 5000. What do think will perform better, specially for the 3 main softwares, AvidMC, AE and combustion.  Or maybe the Nvidia Quadro K5000, 4GB.

Processors, I’ll put Two Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-2630 (Six Core, 2.3GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s) . It’s this ok?

I have an external raid Caldigit, so I won’t put one in the tower.

Memory 16 gigs

What else do you think it should have yes or yes….

Please, anyfeedback is appriciated.

Thanks

Mario

I might be of some help to you.  I went through the Dell learning curve and what I came up with has helped me .  I went to Fry electronics and had a tower built per my specifications and it saved me a lot of money!  And I received good quality components.  Dell puts in some good things and then athrow in some junk.  I run a 850 Watt tower with a 10,000 RPM C Dr. and to 7400 RPM drives.  I run a GeForce GTX 670 graphics card and AI seven quad core processor with 12 gigs of RAM.  I also run premiere Pro cc and all of the Adobe products using their cloud applications.  When the dust settled on this project if memory serves I had around $1500 invested.  The same machine.  I've read about runs around $4000.  And this machine runs premiere Pro and Photoshop and other applications simultaneously.  Good luck, I'll never buy a production machine again not for such heavy lifting as video editing

Participant

That's great information – will they build laptop (desktop replacements) too?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap