Burning a HD video to Blu-Ray

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I’ve got a few wedding videos under my belt, and now I’ve been asked if I can put a video on a DVD for a client.

My footage all comes from Canon EOS Cameras (5D Mark 2, 5D Mark 3) and is in 1920×1080 @ 23.976 frames in .MOV format.

As I understand it, it is not possible (or at least very difficult) to burn full 1920×1080 resolution onto a regular 4.7GB DVD. I do have a Blu-Ray burner and discs, and have made one attempt so far at burning the video onto a Blu-Ray by rendering it to a .MOV format and using Nero 2016 to burn a Blu-Ray video disc. I just kind of winged the settings in the render and burning prompts without really knowing what half of it meant, and the disc “completed successfully” but when I tried to play it back as a movie on the same Blu-Ray drive on my computer, it said that “the disc was not formatted properly” or something along those lines.

I am using Sony Vegas for the final cut of the video, and can render into many formats. I want to get the Blu-Ray disc to playback, I’m not sure what setting sot use for this process, and finding information about this topic seems to be a bit difficult. If anyone could help me out here that would be great.

Thanks!

Pete TomkiesPete Tomkies
      Participant

You can burn full HD quality video to a DVD if you make an AVCHD disc. However you can only store up to around 20 minutes footage and not all Blu Ray players will play that disc format. I don’t think DVD players will handle it. The specification of the DVD format is standard definition at 30fps for NTSC or 25fps for PAL. However DVD players should interpret 24fps footage to 30fps during playback.

Participant

Azukre it is not possible to burn HD video to DVD, except as an AVCHD disc which is only readable in Blu-Ray players.

But if you want a DVD that is going to be able to play on any DVD or Blu-Ray player your maximum resolution will be 720 X 480 (NTSC disc, 720 X 576 PAL) Progressive Scan video. And DVD’s can handle both 24fps and 30fps.

As for true HD video, my simplest piece of advice would be to offer them a H.264-MP4 file (I would recommend if you have a list of different sizes, go for an Apple TV 1080p selection, as the Apple settings seem to be the “generic” settings that will work everywhere) on a USB Key. Many TV’s and even DVD/Blu-Ray players have USB ports nowadays that people can plug the USB Key in and play, or even copy the video to their computer and from their to their iPad, iPod or phone and play it from those devices. Another option is to put a Master HD file, in uncompressed AVI or MOV on a Hard drive, and then include a H.264 copy on the same hard drive.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap