Building an Editing and Archiving Computer

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Building an Editing and Archiving Computer

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Goal 1: Transfer approximately 30 MiniDV tapes containing documentary footage that needs to be archived and preserved. I would like to retain the best possible quality without compression. How much storage space should I have for the archiving portion? Goal 2: Once I have the footage archived I would like to have a Video Editing Computer equipped to handle the post-production and rendering. Any suggestions you can offer in terms of: Memory Capacity, Video and Graphics Cards, Editing Software, PC vs. Mac, etc. would be a great help. Should I build my own or purchase a used Editing Machine that can be repurposed?

Participant

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Participant

You want to capture it using a firewire card from your camcorder to the computer. This method gives you an exact duplicate of your original footage. The rule of thumb is 1 hr. of VD-AVI (what you end up with) is approximately 13 GB. so 30 tapes = 390 GB. of source material.

The sky (or your budget) is the limit when it comes to an editing computer. I'm a PC user and I edit using Sony Vegas Pro so I'll leave it to others to comment on other software and a Mac.

Building your own or having a custom rig built to your specs is always best as you get to decide what kind of hardware you want.

A greta place to start is the Videoguys DIY blog. They're up to DIY 10 but, if that's too much for you, look at the various options on the DIY builds. They have several different builds in each category so it's up to you to decide how much you want to spend. I know several users who have built machines based on these specs and they're all very happy.

http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY%2bSystems.aspx

Be sure to check out the forums for the software you're considering buying as you'll usually find questions like this on there with specific recommendations for various hardware.

Good luck!!

Mike

Participant

Mark, good luck on your decision. Come back whern you get it built and let us know what you went with from a parts standpoint and how you like it.

Mike

Participant

Hi Mike – Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and for offering some great advice. I've decided to build my own rig as it seems to be the most cost effective way to get my desired customization. Best, Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap