Bowl type tripod head + non-bowl tripod… help! :-)

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Bowl type tripod head + non-bowl tripod… help! :-)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

The good news is I got a better tripod pan/tilt head.  The bad news is, it wasn't as described and is the bowl-type mount vs. the type that screws into the tripod.  Unfortunately, returning the item is (at least at the moment) not an option.

My question is, do any of you have any idea how I could adapt my Sunpak 7500 (I know, cheap) to fit my Fancier FT-717H head?  The center post is removable, to act as a monopod, and it has a 1/4" – 6 screw. My FT-717 has a 3/8-20.

Needless to say I was pretty frustrated to find the mismatch. 

I saw that Manfrotto has a bowl adapter that's around $70.  And I REALLY don't want to fork over more than $100 for a tripod to fit it right now. 

Heck, if anyone out there has the version with the standard base, I'd be willing to trade!

" The bad news is, it wasn't as described and is the bowl-type mount vs. the type that screws into the tripod. "

You mean to say that you don't want a mount which allows one to level the camera on the tripod? Maybe I don't understand: " bowl-type mount ". Maybe I don't understand: " the type which screws into the tripod ". Every tripod I've ever used, whether for still photography, or surveying instruments, or film cameras, or video cameras . . .  has had a ball and socket arrangement which provides for leveling the camera irrespective of whether the tripod itself was level.

Maybe I don't understand . . .

Rick Crampton

Participant

It's not that I don't want the bowl type mount, it's more an issue that I have nothing to mount it to.  Unless I can find a sort of adapter or something to build (cheaply) myself until I can afford proper legs for it.

Right now it's an $80 paperweight.

Yup . . .  I don't understand. I don't know what a  Sunpak 7500 is, and I don't know what an FT-717H head is . . . or how they're spozed to ( or not ) fit together. I take it this gear is not what one would consider a standard tripod arrangement? Is this some kind of mount you use in flight?

So you have this bowl thingy and no way to attach it to your ( tripod ), and/or camera? Sounds like you need some more parts?

Rick Crampton

Participant

Sunpak 7500 is just a cheap consumer tripod with removable head.  The FT-717 is a fluid pan/tilt head that I just got.  It comes in two formats, one which simply screws into the tripod, the other is the really cool bowl type, so you can level the head.  The seller specifically stated that the head I ordered was the type that would fit my tripod.  However, it is not, and there was no return policy. 

Right now as I see it I have no option other than to spend $140 on a new set of tripod legs which will fit this head.  Which really leaves me pretty pissed off because I could have just grabbed the whole package together for $120! lol 

Participant

Gosh I hate video stuff.  Can't take a crap without paying at least $100.

Participant

Building my own remedy.  Manfrotto wants $70 for something I'm making for $15.  

Participant

Try Craigs list I just bought a Manfrotto pro level tripod with a fluid head $650 on B&H that I got for $200. cash, the good thing about Craigs list is that it's local, and you can inspect the stuff befor you buy.

Good luck Jason.

Participant

I have both also.  The Sunpak 7500 is a great consumer tripod because of the convertible monopod, and because it gets high.  I shoot events and want a tripod higher than 6'4" so people don't have to duck going by or interrupt the video.  I also have a separate 75mm bowl tripod purchased with sticks, which is much better, sturdier, pro quality, but it's fixed at about 5'5" height; too low for many of my uses.  I didn't think there was any way to use the bowl head on the Sunpak, but maybe removing the monopod and head, the bowl head can be adapted?  If you figure it out, let me know, as I'd love to use the pro head on the Sunpak base to get higher.  No so much of an issue for me, however, as I usually don't control the camera from the head.  I mount a pan/tilt with 50 ft cord and from distance control 3 cameras for pan/tilt/zoom/stop/start/focus, etc.  Have 3 separate 7" monitors to view what cameras see.  One operator, 4 cameras (one fixed wide angle+3 remote controlled).  Works great for events, just gotta watch out for the cable runs.

Whoever told you they were compatible obviously didn't know what they were talking about!

JM

Washington State

Participant

Chuckzoot – Thanks, I will keep checking out Craigslist. 

JM

Actually, I can't take credit for my fix, as a fellow videographer was in a similar jam before.  It's as simple as a 5" section of 4" x 4" square aluminum tubing and a couple bolts.  I should be receiving the tubing by the end of the week, so will let you know how it works out.  It won't look pretty, but it'll do the job.  And even better, it'll do the job for $15.

Sounds like a pretty slick system you've got setup!  Awesome!

Participant

I'd like to see when you get set up.  I also bought a couple Slick non-bowl tripods that go higher than 6'4" at a local camera store promo for about $130.  Very sturdy, much better quality than Sunpak, but obviously heavier.  Always the trade-off.

Off-topic – I see you fly also.  I share a C172 with a couple other guys.  Fly mostly Young Eagles. Here's a clip of an event last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtkoaBv5n_I&feature=plcp

I find I can't follow fast moving planes well with a tripod, but do remove the monopod and while I don't always use it fixed to ground, I do shorten it and keep on the camera as sort of a stabilizer.  Today's small consumer cameras are just too small and lightweight to handhold steady, but are very convenient and smaller than my better cameras for impromptu events.The monopod/stabilizer also lets me hold it above the crowd for some shots.  

You can follow that youtube link to see my other clips – about 70 public ones, mostly scuba diving.  I have another 30 private youtube videos – private as they are of kids and I don't post public unless I have parent permission.  When flying I usually use a Canon TX1 as it is very small, but high quality, good video with 10X optical zoom.  I have 6 HD video cameras and thinking about new Panasonic GH3 for 7th. 

Participant

Hey, cool, a fellow aviator!  Man, we sure lucked out on that GA day, didn't we!  Just good enough to fly. πŸ™‚  Where is your plane based at?

I too hate shooting aircraft (flying) with a tripod, but my hope is really to use this for the slow taxiing/head on shots and maybe takeoff and landing.  I've got a PVC shoulder mounted camera rig that I use now, which works AWESOME for the fly days when I don't know if they're going to be in front of me, behind me, or over my head.  In fact, what I'd probably do is keep the DSLR on the tripod, and my camcorder on my shoulder rig so I can go back and forth easily. 

I'm trying to save up for a Panasonic AG-HMC80.  I want an eyepiece, shoulder mounted, and HD.  And less than $5,000! lol

Here's some video I shot at this years Vintage Aircraft Weekend using my shoulder rig:

Participant

Off Topic

We're getting a bit off the thread here.  Anyway – plane is hangared at Arlington, WA, just a few miles from Paine Field.  Your Vintage Aircraft clips are great – very steady.  I too have made a pvc shoulder mount, but haven't used it for aircraft footage.  I also am building a 15mm rail system for shoulder or tripod, anticipating getting DSLR or 4/3 camera.  We did a Challenge Air day this last summer at HFF – giving free rides to handicapped kids. They have a great facility and the aircraft are to drool over.  Maybe we do some air to air video work when weather improves?

JM

Participant

Thanks!  PVC is a lifesaver!  gonna make some more rigs with it this weekend.  gonna make a track for a tabletop dolly and hopefully get my aluminum tubing so i can use this darn tripod head.  

I was just up at AWO this evening meeting with folks.  Got some fun shots while enjoying the rare sunshine we had shooting from 172nd.   That's cool you did Challenge Air at HFF, that makes such an impact on their lives.  Very cool.

I'd love to get together and do some air to air!  Send me a PM via my FB page at Facebook.com/fight2fly 

Participant

Awesome!  Why pay $70+ when you can make something yourself for $20!  To avoid the ridiculous cost of buying the Manfroto adapter which cost $70 used on eBay, I simply purchased a piece of 4" square aluminum tubing.  Drilled a couple of holes, mounted it to my tripod, then mounted the fluid head to the other hole in the aluminum tube.  Ta-da!  It might look ugly, but hell, it WORKS

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap