BMCC & Spherical Panos…I Want To Have My Cake And Eat It Too!!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Professional Camcorders BMCC & Spherical Panos…I Want To Have My Cake And Eat It Too!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      kevin89greene
      Participant

First off I want to state that I am a Noob! 

I have been been seriously studying 3d graphics and animation for a long while now and want to take my learning to the next level. I am looking to purchase cameras that I can learn and grow into, that I can use for years to come. 

I like the fact that I can have so much latitude with the BMCC in shooting live plates to integrate with my 3d and action cg, but I would also like to learn to shoot spherical panoramas as well. 

Can anyone offer suggestions on a great camera mate to go with the BMCC, meaning sharing lens and offer great dynamic range for panos and that will also be something that is professional enough so I can make money with in the future.

My total camera budget is $5000 give or take. Any ideas because with the BMC's cropped sensor some lens just aren't a good match and I just want to buy good lens for them both to share. Since these will be my first pro cameras, I have a clean slate (no prior investment in any camera gear to consider). 

Oh I have working knowledge of Nuke, Houdini, Realflow, AfterEffects, and many years of working with Avid Symphony if that means anything.

Thanks In Advance

-k
      kevin89greene
      Participant

Well, I found the answer for myself with quite a bit of research. If anyone else is interested, I contacted Armando at borrowlenses.com and this is what he had to say:

"Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the e-mail. For the BMCC, there are a lot of factors to keep in mind. The fact that it is EF mount will limit you to only Canon lenses if you want compatability between both a DSLR and that camera, so I think a 7D would give you the best quality with the lenses I think would work best for you. 

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Canon_7D

I'm recommending this one because it takes EF-S lenses as well as regular EF lenses. The EF-S compatability would work great with the BMCC because the lens that we most commonly recommend with the Blackmgic is the Tokina 11-16, which is an EF-S lens built for cropped sensor camera bodies. Since the BMCC has a 2.4x crop factor, finding a good wide angle can be difficult. The Tokina fits in nicely with both the 7D and BMCC as far as wide angle range is concerned.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Tokina_11_16mm_f2.8_canon

If you want a little extra range on both camera, I can recommend the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 as well. Very solid lens.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Canon_16_35mm_f2.8_II"

I hope this helps others!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.