Best proffesional camcorders ideal for weddings?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I am a wedding photographer and i am starting my own studio mainly for shooting events specially weddings .

i have some knowledge about the video camcordes but i need a professional answer from professionals like you!!

As you know each country has its traditions and culture , here in my country jordan people are used to have the wedding videtaped from A to Z ..people won't accept that you missed any part of that big day ..even the part when the guests congrats the bride and groom.. so studios will always have two camecorder and a mixer in the reciption party and some times a crane too.

I was searching for the ideal reliable camcorders for such events..and i really want to film that day in a cinematic and artistic look that most studios do not take in consideration .

I came across the sony pxw-fs7 and am so in love with the ability of this camera ..but my concern is that ..is this camera ideal for such events ? and what do i have to keep in mind if i bought this camera

Thanks alot !!!

Participant

Saleem,

I have been a professional videographer for over 20 years.  My thoughts on your question are as follows: the Sony pxw-fs7 is a very expensive and complicated camera for someone "starting out" in the video field.  An important thing to remember is that the quality of the CAMERA does not make the video – the quality  and experience of the VIDEOGRAPHER (and video editor) is what makes the video.  

My suggestion would be to purchase a much less expensive HD cam and use it for a few weddings (for free) until you become familiar with what is required to handle all the details of professionally filming a complete wedding.  You will find the process is quite different than shooting still photography of the same wedding.  Once you feel comfortable with the process and with your edited work, only then would I consider purchasing a camera such as this (much less a crane!).  Good luck in your new endeavor.

Participant

Most wedding videographers here in the US and other countries are using DSLR cameras, if they're after the "cinematic" look to their films.  Canon has released the C100 onto the market not long ago and it's a camcorder/DSLR hybrid. With the form factor of a camcorder and the large sensor of a DSLR, it's become the choice of many wedding shooters. 

There are many options for the type of work you contemplate. I'd suggest looking through the many articles here on Videomaker, an view some of the video on Vimeo.com where wedding videos abound.  Take a look on bhphotovideo.com where there is a large seection of cameras and a lot of great videos to view. 

EdYou mention for wedding videography the C100 is a good choice. We do wedding photography and are always asked if we do video (canon gear, 5DMIII and II; and many L and prime lenses; also Nikon gear; D800 n D3S). We also do some sports. Would the C100 also be able to cover fast moving sports such slalom water skiing (the water skier accelarates across the wake perpendicular to the boat at close to 60 MPH). Do you the think the C100 could lock onto the skier and track him/her across the wake or would be better off with a camcorder for the sports and use the C100 for weddings?

Use what you have now and get to know how to operate that, Im sure you have a computer to edit what you have anyway. keep it simple and only get what you need and not what you want.?
      You can speed thousands on equipment and then find out you get your investment back years later by then everything has moved on to a higher resolution and you will have to start over again Ive been doing this for 35 years and seen it all before unless you are going it for a hobby Regards Andy

Participant

Cinematic always worries me. I get the opinion that the sense here is that cinematic means increased dynamic range and shallow depth of field. That camera is very capable, and when mated with a lens of similar quality is mega money for a beginner to try to grapple with. It’s also going to need a substantial crane/job to fly it and I wonder if you actually need 4K quality and price for what you are considering.

I’m old fashioned and have always used shoulder mounted cameras with B4 lenses. I like sharp pictures and full depth of field and reserve shallow DoF for effects. I do have a DSLR that I use for stills and absolutely HATE it. The images are lovely – but I find the way it works very different from my video kit. All my cameras have proper focus demands and framing and movement with a decent head/legs combination is smooth and accurate. The inability of photo style lenses to stay in focus when zoomed is a real pain – and as I have got older and wear glasses, seeing the screen to check focus visually is nigh on impossible.

Professional is what the operator should be – and a pro can use almost any camera if it can do the job. Plenty of easier HD cameras to learn on, and the learning curve for 4K is steep – I did some Sony training at Pinewood on 4K and it’s tough – so many tweaks and adjustments that impact the picture – and to see them a very expensive monitor is needed too. Too much?

Maybe consider hiring a few to try on jobs – then you’ll know what you like and dislike?

If you were to compare the video industry to the car industry, you would find that like Toyota and General Motors, Canon and Panasonic are clearly the market leaders for professional videographers.

One might expect a comparative review of the Canon XH-A1S and the Panasonic AG-HMC150 to be a long drawn-out affair and if we were a video magazine that needed 3,000 words, we’d probably do just that but when you look closely at each camcorder, you find there is very little difference between them.

The Panasonic, for example offers a-third inch three-mode image processing capability but so does the Canon A1S. Further, you would find that both of them shoot in high-definition mode, though the Panasonic has the edge in that it shoots at 1920 by 1080 or native high-definition mode, while the Canon shoots in 1440 by 1080 resolution. This is still high-definition mode, but with just a slight difference in resolution.

Participant

Franky002, a minor correction – the Panasonic HMC150 does shoot in 1080p, but it does so by an upscaling of the native 720p mode. 1080p is not a native resolution for the HMC150. I own two of them, so I’m quite familiar with these cameras, which are great workhorses by the way.

I’d still go for a slightly simpler camera than the sony pxw-fs7. A few reasons- firstly it’s ‘modular’ in the sense that there’s a certain amount of camera building, which means more parts and processes to go wrong. The simpler the camera, the more you can focus on rushing around and getting the coverage you need, rather than swapping lenses etc.

Secondly, the camera has a super 35 sensor, which will get you lovely looking shots in relatively low light. But it comes with some of that cinematic look you didn’t want, as well as a shallower depth of field which will make focus pulling tricker. Not what you want if you need your shot to be ‘cuttable’ at all times.

I’d go for something more camcorder style, with an inbuilt lens and less technicals for you to worry about. We’ve used the canon xf305 at live events and it’s never let us down. It’s small enough and light enough to run around with, the setup is nothing more that locking it on the tripod, and all the controls are ergonomic. Plus the price tag is significantly smaller than the fs7.

We’ve even used it for some corporate videos- http://www.44-16.com

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap