Best practice in recording devices

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

What's the best set up to shoot an iPad or tablet for a review. when you have your lighting and camera in the position you want, but the glare on the device kills the shot. what's the best setup, so the device screen doesn't show the lighting, the camera, or any object around the room?

thanks

I have covered the device screen with green paper and shot the actual screen separately, then composited the two in post.

I do use Premiere Pro, although any NLE with a decent chromakey can handle it. When I did it, the biggest limitation was that I had to keep the tablet motionless, and then shoot the screen at the same angle, without the lights, zoomed in. I got a nice effect–the lights didn't wash out the screen, and there wass no light glare. The big drawback is that I wasn't able to show any interaction by the user.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

There are ways to record the iPad screen using a screen recorder software. This blog post http://www.apptamin.com/blog/capture-iphone-ipad-screen-video  explains a few ways to accomplish that.

Participant

There are three ways I've used with one of my customers. Using images or screen prints of the screens I've made a slide show before the product was actually working. In beta, using screen capture software on a PC running an android emulator. See this http://youtu.be/qw0aIlEePHg

By far the most interesting for me was when I used the leg of smoke color panty hose to cover the device. Stretched thin and taped to the back, it allowed the talent to swipe the surface and reduce reflection from studio lights. However, I did have to reduce the intensity of studio lights and bump up the saturation levels in post to return the screen color to bright colors.

Participant

how would you composite it? Are you using Adobe Premiere Pro?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio editing software for video editors — 2021

Let's look at the best audio editing software currently on the market, then go over the most important features to consider as you shop.
homicide-bootstrap