Best Nikon For Film/Docs

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Everyone:
      I currently own a Nikon DX40 and a HV30, as well as a small light kit, a reflector, etc.  I'm considering adding a DSLR with video capacity because I want the flexibility of interchangeable lens.I want to eventually get into shooting documentaries and short films both for the 'Net and (hopefully) film festivals.
      What are your recommendations? I'm currently considering the Nikon D5200. Has anybody tried this camera out?

Participant

The D800 is very popular.

Hmmmm. Interesting choice, Brian. In your view, what are the pros and cons?

Hey Brian! There is a typo in Craig's bio.

Hi Mike – I recommend you save yourself a couple of thousand dollars and get the $700 D5200 instead of the $2800 D800.  The D5200 is the best still/video hybrid camera from Nikon to date.  With its new Toshiba sensor, it produces far less moire than the D800 and outresolves it too.

See this side-by-side comparison (please watch at 1080p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks, Bill! That's the first time I have seen a side by side comparision between the D5200 and the D800. It goes to prove that the D5200 is a steal at under $1000.

Most shooting is done for the Web these days. How would the tiny D5200 hold up for broadcast or film festivals? Just curious.

Mike – people are entering soft Canon DSLR footage in festivals and winning (see here and here).  This camera beats all of them – to include the $3300 Canon 5D Mark III.

Here is a side by side between the D5200 and the 5D Mk III in low light:

And here is Andrew Reid's opinion on the camera, from eoshd.com: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9586/is-the-cheap-nikon-d5200-a-better-option-than-d800-for-video-no-moire-aliasing-and-good-detail

If I didn't already shoot with a Panasonic GH3 (with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cam on order), I wouldn't hesitate to buy the D5200.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks again, Bill.

Oh, I love your site!

Participant

Hi Bill,

is the fact that one cannot control aperture whilst shooting with the Nikon D5200 not a big drawback?

which DSLR or EVIL etc can shoot video with aperture control "on the fly"

Hmmmm. Good question. Bill? Anybody else?

Thanks, Bill!

To quote eoshd in Andrew's D5200 review:

" ..you have to come out of live view mode to set the aperture. You cannot set it whilst in live view mode or whilst recording. You can get around this by using an older Nikon AI/S lens with a mechanical aperture ring. The D5200 offers full manual control of shutter speed, ISO, etc…"

When I was in film school 35 years ago, and shooting 16mm and Super 8, we would 'fade to black' by closing the aperture down.  I have been shooting digital video for the last 10 years and have never changed the aperture manually while shooting.  To me, this isn't a big deal.

That said, to answer tenguy's question – the GH3 has full manual control of aperture, shutter and ISO while recording.  The GH2 has manual control of aperture and shutter while recording, but not ISO.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Hi Bill,

I have a Nikon D5100 and was thinking of selling it and getting the D5200 (since I have a few lenses).I want ggood stills, but am especially interested in video.Would you suggest a GH3 or a second hand Gh2 instead?

What I am asking is do you think that the D5200 is "better" than the GH2 (you seemed enamoured with it in your post)?

What about a Sony VG30-it has the form factor of a proper video camera? I was keen to get the VG30 but then decided to rather get the 5200 now I am torn between these and a GH2 or 3….

Participant

Tunguy,

What is most important will be the imagination and sense of vision you bring to projects.  If a camera won't do something, assess for yourself just how necessary that something is.  Will viewers ever catch on that you wanted to "do that" and couldn't. 

Find the limitations and determine how close to that line you are willing to go.

I started out with a VHS camcorder that was rebranded from some Panasonic model.  Had to do what we called "assemble" editing.  A Sony Digital8 and the first version of Pinnacle Studio.  Eventually I moved into HD with an HV20, went tapeless with the HF100, and when Canon video capable DSLRs became affordable took that route.  And I'm one of those who became "ensnared" by the Panasonic GH2 and work with GH3's.

But the ultimate finished "motion picture" is a product of your sense of vision and how well you used the equipment you did it with.  I'd advise you to check out the GH3, but if you are seriously invested in Nikon glass Nikon may be the best choice for you. 

Being unable to change aperture "on the fly" is unlikely to impact on your end result,  It's likely to be more of a pain in the "pi gu" (Chinese for "buttocks") than anything else.

Well said!

Participant

I own the D7100 with many lenses.  The STILL picture quality is excellent.  The VIDEO, to my professional eye of almost thirty years of video is LESS than desirable.  What the heck was NIKON thinking not allowing the use of the APERATURE to adjust exposure.

If  you are a person who utilizes auto-focus, FORGET this camera.  Get a CANON for HDSLR work or a real video camera.

Participant

Yes, but what about the Nikon D5200?

Participant

Can someone clarify my understanding of large dynamic range? I see the new Blackmagic pocket Cinema camera has 13 stops of DR but the D5200 has 13.9 Does this mean that from a dynamic range point of view, the D5200 is on a par with the BMPCC?

Great stuff Bill! Enjoy reading your responses πŸ˜€

3D

Inactive

It's pretty great to see everyone reccomending the D5200. I've got a D5100 SLR and I was eyeing the 5200 when I heard it was coming out. I don't really feel like going through the trouble of selling my camera body and forking over a couple of hundred bucks for the upgrade at the moment, but if I ever have a serious video project I think I would. I was sold the moment I watched some video online. The D5200 is such an improvment over the 5100 video wise. I take lots of photos with my 5100 and am plenty happy about it right now. This is a great little thread for Nikon lovers.

Participant

Tonyb78: unless there is a compelling reason to have two camera bodies(need to do multicam shoot, or want to do timelapse photography and dont want to wear down your good camera) then it might be a good ideal to keep the 5100 and also get a 5200 (dream on for me…)

i am reading this post now and i am currently in a bit of a debate about nikon and canon, i have ventured into a new project of shooting reggae concerts (in low light where i NEED auto focus) and instead of breaking out my sony nx-5u's i want to use a smaller and less expensive nikon or canon DSLR, my options are between nikon D7000 and 7D canon/t4i canon. i am leaning towards the nikon because of its 20 minute recording capabilty but i wonder if i will miss the 720/60 that canon offers but the nikon doesnt can anyone help me out here… im new to the DSLR world… ALL RESPONSES are welcome please!!!

Hi horizon_media, If you want hours of recording time instead of minutes, 1080/60p instead of 720/60p, and autofocus that doesn't "hunt" when it's trying to lock, you should take a serious look at the $1298 Panasonic GH3.

If you do get a Nikon, get the new $1197 D7100 to avoid the $897 D7000's moire challenge.

If you get a Canon, get the $676 T4i to avoid the $1499 7D's lack of auto focus and 12 minute clip length limit.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Hi Bill,

Why do you recommend the D7100 rather than the cheaper D5200 (for video)?

Hi tunguy – the D5200 is certainly the better value for the money, but horizon_media didn't have it on his list.

That said, for those who can afford it, I recommend paying the extra money for the D7100's headphone jack, weathersealing, and dual card slots (even if it means giving up the D5200's articulated LCD).

It's too bad Nikon couldn't find a way to combine weathersealing, the headphone jack, and the articulated LCD (while throwing in 1080/60p and multiple codecs) – as Panasonic did with the GH3 πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Hi Guys:

I just pulled the trigger and purchased a D5200. It should arrive in a few days. πŸ™‚

Participant

Enjoy the D5200!! Let us know your impressions πŸ™‚

Congrats, Mike! Please let us know where we can see your work.

Happy shooting,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

MIke,

I've been using the D5200 for about a month now. I absolutely love it. Actually, I was torn between getting a "normal" HD video cam, or going to what I had considered was the "Dark side" (DSLR). After talking with a fellow Videographer,  he told me that he never regretted getting his Nikon.

And now, neither have I. It's also my first HD camera, I love the quality of capture that comes with the unit (my previous main gear is a Canon GL2).

Congrats on the purchase. I know that you will definitely enjoy your new camera.

Frank

Participant

Hi. Just wondering how the d5200 stacks up as a HD camera in 2019.

[quote=tunguy]

Hi Bill,

I have a Nikon D5100 and was thinking of selling it and getting the D5200 (since I have a few lenses).I want ggood stills, but am especially interested in video.Would you suggest a GH3 or a second hand Gh2 instead?

What I am asking is do you think that the D5200 is "better" than the GH2 (you seemed enamoured with it in your post)?

What about a Sony VG30-it has the form factor of a proper video camera? I was keen to get the VG30 but then decided to rather get the 5200 now I am torn between these and a GH2 or 3….

[/quote]

Hi tunguy – I shoot with both the GH2 and the GH3. If your budget can cover it, I recommend the GH3.  It is the best video-centric camera in its class.  Shooters are producing amazing video with this camera:

But below $1000, I would get a new $697 D5200 instead of a used GH2 for $850 or more.  Panasonic made a mistake by taking this camera out of production when the GH3 was introduced.  By doing so, they essentially ceded the under $1000 market to the first manufacturer who could beat the moire problem – and Nikon stepped up to the plate. In addition to its resistance to moire, the D5200 has great resolution and low-noise performance straight out of the camera.  Here is a commercial shot with the D5200 with no sharpening in post:

That said, I have high hopes for the recently announced Panasonic G6 (external mic jack, same sensor as the GH2) – but it hasn't been released yet – and there is no sample video available.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thank you Bill for the advice/opinion!! You are unbelevably helpful, and a treasue trove of knowledge.(I remember you from Pana 3CCD user days!)

Participant

Bill, one other thing; what can a Canon 5d Mk2 or 3 do what the Nikon D5200 cannot do?

[quote=tunguy]

Can someone clarify my understanding of large dynamic range? I see the new Blackmagic pocket Cinema camera has 13 stops of DR but the D5200 has 13.9 Does this mean that from a dynamic range point of view, the D5200 is on a par with the BMPCC?

[/quote]

I don't think so… at least it doesn't look like it.

-3D

[quote=tunguy]

[/quote]

Hi tunguy – the 13.9evs DR number quoted for the D5200 at DXOMark is for stills only.  DSLRs/DSLTs/DSLMs lose several stops of DR when shooting video because of their limited processing power.

Manufacturers (except Blackmagic) don't advertise their video DR numbers, and there is no video website (comparable to DXOMark for stills), that systematically measures and publishes them.

That said, Zacuto did a great public service a couple of years ago with their "Great Camera Shootouts" – showing dynamic range comparisons between 1st generation DSLRs, digital cinema cameras and film.  Here is Episode 1 (DR comparison starts at 5:30) :

As you can see, even top-end DSLRs were a few stops behind digital cinema cameras and film.

To my knowledge, no one has tested the video DR of the D5200 yet, but it is probably somewhere between 8 and 10 stops.  Darned good – but it's no Blackmagic πŸ™‚

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks Bill for posting the "great camera shoot out"-I did see it a year or two ago, but did not understand enough to appreciate it.This time around, I really understood what they were doing! Really enjoyed watching it.

You are absolutely correct.  the only video I will shoot woth this is an interview of somenone sitting on a chair.. That's it, period-. unless the proverbial alien space ship lands, and then for sure something will lock up and it won't shoot at alll..  

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap