Best lenses for GH4

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, I'm getting ready to purchase a GH4. I will be using it primarily for directing and producing my own horror and comedy films, but I also need a nice stills lens to take  photos of the vintage dirtbikes and parts that i sell online and for pics of my family and such.  I am a learning about the different features of cameras and lenses, but I am buying a camera next week so I would like to get some quick advice from some more knowledgeable folk before I make a purchase. Based on what I will be using the camera for, can anyone tell me how I would achieve a 35 or super 35 equivalent with and without a metabones speedbooster? Should I get one?  I plan to buy the speedbooster when they release one that is optimized for the GH4, so I hope that one of the lenses I buy now will still be capable of 35 mm with the booster. I have my eyes on a Rokinon 3 piece kit that includes a 24, 25, and 85mm for a good price.  Is there any reason I should not buy this kit for my intended use? Can you not zoom with these lenses? I'm a little clueless as you see.  I hear that the lumix 12-35 is nice, but I am not sure I will need the extra expense of OIS because I will be shooting exclusively from tripods, cranes, steadicam, copters, dolley.  No handheld.  And I will be purchasing a follow focus so I will not need need autofocus with the lens, correct?  Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help 🙂  Oh and my total budget for lenses right now is $1500 so keep that in mind if you have a suggestion.  

Hi Bob – welcome to the world of micro 4/3!   I've been shooting with GH1, GH2, GH3 and GH4 cameras for a few years now, and they really are the best still/video cameras in their price class.

To answer your questions:

Based on what I will be using the camera for, can anyone tell me how I would achieve a 35 or super 35 equivalent with and without a metabones speedbooster? Should I get one? 

In my view, if you want a Super 35 field of view with your lenses, you should definitely get a focal reducer – but your don't have to pay Metabones prices.  I would get a $94 third party Canon EF to micro 4/3 focal reducer/speed booster.

I have my eyes on a Rokinon 3 piece kit that includes a 24, 25, and 85mm for a good price.  Is there any reason I should not buy this kit for my intended use? Can you not zoom with these lenses?

Rokinon lenses will deliver good results for reasonable prices.  But they are "prime", or fixed focal length, lenses.  They are not "zoom" lenses.

Also, 24, 35 and 85mm lenses are a little too long, in my view.  If you plan to shoot interiors, you'll need wider lenses. With the EF mount Speedbooster, I would get the EF mount $373 Rokinon 14mm T3.1.

I hear that the lumix 12-35 is nice, but I am not sure I will need the extra expense of OIS because I will be shooting exclusively from tripods, cranes, steadicam, copters, dolley.  No handheld.  And I will be purchasing a follow focus so I will not need need autofocus with the lens, correct? 

If you plan to use the camera for stills, you will want autofocus.  Plus, stabilization and autofocus are very helpful for aerial work.  And when there's rain or moisture in the air, you should have at least one weathersealed lens.  For that, I would get the $898 Panasonic 12-35.  I have shot with this lens and it is a great match for the GH3 or GH4.

At the long end, you should have enough left over for the $317 Canon Rokinon 85mm T1.5

Here is what the GH4 can do with Rokinon Cine Primes (please watch at your monitor's highest resolution):

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks for the great response, and yes it was very helpful.  I am quite excited about the GH4.  I have been studying filmmaking off an on for the past 10 years in my spare time and always planned to get a good cinema camera when I could afford one.   The GH4 is about 10x cheaper than I had originally planned to spend on a video camera, yet I don't feel like I'm compromising on visual quality and these savings will more than cover the rest of my gear.  Anyways,  I will go ahead and get the booster and lumix 12-35, and pass on the rokinon prime kit as you recommended.  Also, I  i will get the rokinon 14mm as well, which should serve its purpose just fine while I am learning to use everything without the worry of damaging expensive glass. Thanks for your input.  Ryan

Participant

Hi Bill – I just saw your GH4 test footage…nice!  Question: The titling effect where you had the letters fading in randomly – very cool.  Is that part of your editing software or a plugin and can you control which direction the letters appear (ie, right to left or left to right)??  I still use Final Cut 7.

Thanks! Chris

Participant

Hi Everyone. I'm in a similar predicament. I loved using the Samyang/Rokinon 18, 35mm and 85mm primes on Canon. None of the gear was mine so I'm buying a GH4 and unsure of which lenses to buy. The Rokinon 10mm, 50mm and 85mm with the Speedbooster or a dedicated MFT lens such as the Samyang 50mm T1.5 for Micro Four Thirds and perhaps the Tokina 11-16mm T3 Cine for MFT.Achieving shallow depth of field is important to me and also a wide angle of view similar to using the 35mm Canon lens. Any advice would be great!

Hi Chris – I wish I could claim credit – but I can't.  Joey Rassool shot this test – not me.  Here's a link to his YouTube channel – if you really want to know how he did the titles, you may want to post the question on his page. 

Good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Hi Colin – congratulations on the new GH4!  In your situation, I think you would be best served by buying a $599 Metabones EF to micro 4/3 Speed Booster with your camera. 

That way, you can continue to use the lenses you're familiar with – with something close to the crop factor and field of view you're used to.

You can always try native micro 4/3 lenses later.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap