Best Lenses for Documentary?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone!

I have chosen the camera I will be using for this documentary (Canon Rebel T3i) and now I have several questions:

I need to know what lenses I should use. I will be doing up close interviews, run and gun following video, fixed distance video of the main person and his choir, and long distance video of setting up a production. Which lenses do you guys recommend? 

Thank you much πŸ™‚ 

Hi T-Nichs – congrats on the new camera!  In addition to focal length, your lens selection depends a lot on your budget and your lighting assumptions.

Do you have $300 to spend? $500? $1000? $1500

Are you going to be shooting in well-lit or low light environments?

If you have $1500 to spend and plan to shoot in low light, I would get the 2013 lens of the year – the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for $799 at the wide end and a Rokinon 85mm T1.5 for $320 at the long end.

If your budget is a little tighter, I would get a $549 Rokinon 35mm T1.5 at the wide end and, again, the $320 Rokinon 85mm T1.5 at the long end.

On an even tighter budget, with better lighting, you may be able to get away with a $413 Rokinon 14mm T3.1 at the wide end.

You really don't need autofocusing lenses because your camera is not able to autofocus in video mode.  This could be a challenge for your run and gun shots.

Good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap