Best Lenses for Documentary?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone!

I have chosen the camera I will be using for this documentary (Canon Rebel T3i) and now I have several questions:

I need to know what lenses I should use. I will be doing up close interviews, run and gun following video, fixed distance video of the main person and his choir, and long distance video of setting up a production. Which lenses do you guys recommend? 

Thank you much πŸ™‚ 

Hi T-Nichs – congrats on the new camera!  In addition to focal length, your lens selection depends a lot on your budget and your lighting assumptions.

Do you have $300 to spend? $500? $1000? $1500

Are you going to be shooting in well-lit or low light environments?

If you have $1500 to spend and plan to shoot in low light, I would get the 2013 lens of the year – the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for $799 at the wide end and a Rokinon 85mm T1.5 for $320 at the long end.

If your budget is a little tighter, I would get a $549 Rokinon 35mm T1.5 at the wide end and, again, the $320 Rokinon 85mm T1.5 at the long end.

On an even tighter budget, with better lighting, you may be able to get away with a $413 Rokinon 14mm T3.1 at the wide end.

You really don't need autofocusing lenses because your camera is not able to autofocus in video mode.  This could be a challenge for your run and gun shots.

Good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap