Best lens???

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi

i normally use my Panasonic V720 camcorder for my movie making, however I have just bought a Canon 70D camera, and the video quality look good, what would be a good lens for shooting video with the Canon?

i was considering the new Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART lens, advice welcomed

dave

Hi Dave – congratulations on the new 70D and welcome to the world of large sensor, interchangeable lens filmmaking!  Instead of the 50mm Sigma, I recommend the $789 Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 zoom for Canon.  It will cost less than the f1.4 ART lens, will be almost as good in low light and will be more flexible than a fixed focal length lens.

Here are a couple of examples of what you can expect from the 18-35 mounted on your 70D:

http://vimeo.com/92330002

http://vimeo.com/87372629

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

To echo Bill, the Sigma 18-35mm is fantastic. Sometimes I want a little more range in focal length, so I use the Sigma 18-55mm f/3.5 on my 70D. It's slower, but as long as I know there won't be any super low light situations, I find the tradeoff to be worth it.

Another great option if you're just starting out with the 70D is Canon's 50mm f/1.8. For the price and speed, it's hard to say no to.

The last thing to think about is how loud the AF can be on the 70D. I'm considering getting an STM lens to eliminate the noise. My cam op used the 70D's AF for some BTS footage and the Sigma was so loud it was almost unusable.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap