Best Fabric for Green Screen Paint

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve got a gallon of Rosco Chroma Key Green paint and now I just need the fabric to put it on.

I was planning for a green screen about eight feet tall and fifteen feet wide that would be freestanding outdoors in a soft curve. So I need to know what kind of fabric is good to paint for that.

It’s for general green screen applications but for now I was thinking of wide shots of a on-location still car that would be composited into a moving background using all that green screen like a giant back-projection unit. Imagine a giant curve of green screen around a parked vehicle so that everything other then the vehicle is green. Now imagine the green replaced with a moving background image. That’s what I’m moving for.

I don’t even know where I could get bolts of cloth that big not ot mention if I should use shower curtain style eyelets and rings or what. Advice appreciated.

I have only ever used that acrylic ChromaKey paint on solid walls, floor and ceiling but the fabric recommendation was a medium to heavy cotton, so you’d be fine with that.

For outdoor stuff I use pre-dyed cotton fabric suspended from a support frame with sprung clamps. If I need to go wider I use two frames and leave a few feet hanging off the left side of the second frame – this then overlaps the frame uprights where they meet and clamps to the top bar of the first frame, thus hiding the uprights. It forms a vertical join on the fabric but this doesn’t cause any problems with the keying if kept flat (no puckers). If the screen needs to be in an L shape, say to the front and side of your car, the overlap can be swept gently where the two frames meet to form a nice curved corner.

Just in case you didn’t know, be wary of the sun moving in and out of clouds when you shoot – this will give you major headaches later…

I have only ever used that acrylic ChromaKey paint on solid walls, floor and ceiling but the fabric recommendation was a medium to heavy cotton, so you’d be fine with that. For outdoor stuff I use pre-dyed cotton fabric suspended from a support frame with sprung clamps. If I need to go wider I use two frames and leave a few feet hanging off the left side of the second frame – this then overlaps the frame uprights where they meet and clamps to the top bar of the first frame, thus hiding the uprights. It forms a vertical join on the fabric but this doesn’t cause any problems with the keying if kept flat (no puckers). If the screen needs to be in an L shape, say to the front and side of your car, the overlap can be swept gently where the two frames meet to form a nice curved corner. Just in case you didn’t know, be wary of the sun moving in and out of clouds when you shoot – this will give you major headaches later…

That is a brilliant idea. Can you suggest where I could order a support frame and pre-dyed cotton fabric online with the support clamps? Or if it is fantastically over priced, plans I could order so I could build it from my local hardware store?

Participant

i’ve bought all my stuff from EEFX so far and have had nothing but great customer service, and prices to match.
      their website is: http://www.eefx.com/eefx2/store/eefx_online_store.html

i would not try to paint fabric. it will come out terrible and you’ll be mad you wasted a can of paint you could have just kept in storage for a later date or sold.

eyelets you can stamp on yourself. go to a fabric store and buy the rings and the striking ring and you can hammer eyelets on ro your hearts content!!

i’ve built indoor frames out of PVC tube. cheap and easy to setup / breakdown. for outdoor use you could still probably use the PVC but i would fill the base tubes with sand to give it the weight needed to stand still outside. i do mostly indoors stuff with the puppets so it’s a bit easier for me to make a controlled environment with the chroma.

good luck!

Participant

I like this discussion. For any cases, I advice to also take a look on http://www.projector-screen-paint.com. There is paint availeable for getting great screens on every solid wall. And it is relativly cheap.

Participant

Hi,

See in your area a sign supplier to use a flexible sign face that is a reinforced thin plastic this is transparent to backlith and very durable for outside and you can paint it or print it. the width is about 12 feet and lenght is in roll may be few hundreds feet. Other advantage you can stick with double face or sew. That is same as street pendant or banner.

Check banner material from jsisign.com

Regards,

YR

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best microphone for YouTube — 2021

One of the most common mistakes beginning video producers make is to overlook audio. Little do these beginners know that audiences are quicker to stop watching a video because of lousy sound quality than they are for poor video. Sound...
homicide-bootstrap