Best Camera under $1000

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Been lurking the forum for a wile..

I currently own a sony a33 with a rode videomic and shoulder rig and its really not cutting it for what I do.. I shoot music videos for artists in my area, and I plan on doing some film making.. I'm really in search for that nice shallow depth of field.
      I guess my question is what is the best camera or setup that I can get around $1000? It can be a camcorder or a DSLR. Must shoot 1080p and I want the best quality possible.. I currently have my eyes on the Sony a77.

Participant

For me Canon is the best when it comes to DSLR.

Hi dyllengeorge – for less than $1000, here are a few choices for stepping up from your A33.

First is the mirorless $498 Panasonic G6 with the kit lens (only a few are available at this price, marked down from $749 at Adorama via eBay).

Like a camcorder (and your A33 DSLT), it has a viewfinder that keeps working when you're shooting video. Canon and Nikon DSLR viewfinders blank out.

Also like a camcorder (and your A33), it has fast autofocus that works while you're shooting video.  Only one DSLR, the $1049 (body-only) Canon 70D, has faster autofocus.

The G6 also has a built-in intervalometer for timelapse, has focus peaking for manual lenses, shoots 1080/60p (something no Canon DSLR or <$1000 Canon camcorder can do) and has wi-fi (plus NFC, if your phone has it) for wireless file transfer and remote control of the camera from your phone or tablet.  None of this matter without high quality video, however.

Here is what this camera can do:

Narrative: "I've Got My Fingers Crossed" by Avner Levona

Music video: "A. Belkin – Good Morning Mr. Blues" by Romas

Sports: "Wayward" by Andrew Johnson

Travel: "Riverbanks" by emeric

http://vimeo.com/72107884

More examples at: http://vimeo.com/groups/dmcg6

If you miss the eBay deal, you can still get the camera for a little over $500 on Amazon, as of this post.

Your second choice, if you can spend a few extra dollars, is the G6's big brother, the $898 (body only, on sale) Panasonic GH3 (plus a $39.95 Alpha to Micro 4/3 adapter for your Sony lenses until you decide whether to go with manual lenses or Panasonic system glass). This is a pro grade camera that is being used to shoot feature length motion pictures.

It has a more robust all metal splashproof body, a headphone jack plus a wider choice of codecs and higher quality, high data rate recording options.

Narrative: "Genesis" directed by Bruce Logan, ASC and DP'd by Philip Bloom

Music video: "Titanium – Sky" by moonlightsounds

More examples at:

http://vimeo.com/groups/gh3

and

http://vimeo.com/groups/panasonicgh3

The third choice below $1000, if you want the absolute highest image quality, and don't mind dealing with a few ergonomic and workflow challenges (e.g., no viewfinder, almost nonexistent autofocus, short battery life, large RAW files), is the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (with the same adapter for your current lenses).  This is the only camera below $1000 that shoots compressed lossless RAW video – which gives you a lot more "filmic" dynamic range than 8 bit DSL cameras and can be aggressively graded during post production to give you the precise "look" you want.

This camera is $995 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWLSHUK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CWLSHUK&linkCode=as2&tag=videomaker22forum-20

Narrative test: "Black Magic Pocket Test Film" by Alec Moore

Music video test: "Very 'Happy' with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera" by Kofa

Marketing test: "The Case" by Paper Crane

Travel: "Maui" by Kaz Kang

Night cityscape: "First raw video from Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera" by Ron Stratton

More examples at: http://vimeo.com/groups/pocketcamera

I hope this isn't too much information, but wanted to give you the three best options in your price range.  Hopefully, one of them will meet your needs!

Best of the holidays,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Bill, you are amazing!! a veritable encyclopaedia of knowledge.I cannot believe the amount of trouble you go to to help a reader.Although this was not my post, I really enjoyed your helpful response.Have a great festive season.

Thank you for the kind words, tunguy, they are greatly appreciated.  Happiness and health to you and yours during the "holy days" and in the New Year.

Bill

I can recommend you the T4i or T5i Even the T3i if you want to save some money, i have a T4i and it works great, you can attach a microphone directly to save you post production time, you ucan even install Magic Lantern to have more features even RAW Video(not in 1080p but is RAW Video)

t5i is one of the best, and if you want to try simething great go for the t3i install magic lantern and you will be able to record video in RAW! also it cost less so you will be abble to buy lenses and accesories

Participant

Seconded. Thanks for your effort!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap