Best camcorder ever, I know there’s no best but please help out

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Professional Camcorders Best camcorder ever, I know there’s no best but please help out

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, in my previous thread I asked for a good camcorder not above £4000 but it has suddenly changed, I now have money to burn want to take everything very seriously and proffesional , I want a few camcorders big budget and got £80,000 budget per camera I would go up to £100,000 if really needed, I will be shooting music videos, live music recording sessions and short films (I've got a hiphop grimy kind of short film like ill manors the film in the works and I record only hiphop/rnb/pop music videos and live recordings like freestyles studio recording ect I am also a producer starting a whole production company that's why I want to start getting highend stuff so I can give the best quality to my customers, I do a lot of editing already and work on media composer with various plug ins, I would like the best quality possible absolutely stunning image XLR capabilities and all round just a brilliant camcorder for everything I want

Thank you all who help out really appreciated 
      Jordan Blackmoore 

Panasonic HPX-2000

Participant

Thankyou πŸ™‚

Hi Jordan – the HPX-2000 isn't used for narrative or music videos because of its small sensor.

You need a large sensor camcorder more along the lines of the Canon C300. You can get one for £11,400 from Amazon UKhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Cinema-digital-cinematography-camcorder/dp/B008B4K854?tag=videomaker22forum-20

Here is what this camera can do:

http://vimeo.com/34833707

Another camera in this range is the £12,600 Sony PMW-F3: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-PMW-F3L-BODY-£9790-00-PLUS/dp/B005C99DHA?tag=videomaker22forum-20

Here is what the F3 can do:

http://vimeo.com/20797531

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your new production studio:

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thank you, it is very helpful, However I was stuck between these two when I was looking around, which one do you think is better? 

Thankyou

Jordan

Jordan – if budget permits, I would get the F3 with 10 bit S-Log.  This will give you more flexibility in color grading than with the Canon C300's 8 bit C-Log.  The technical explanation for this is here.

Again, hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I'm a big fan of Red.  Check out the Scarlet.  Great camera.

Participant

Thank you, I will look into them, I am actually stuck between canon c500 http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/Press_Centre/Product_Information/Digital_Cinema/EOS_C500.aspx with all cine lenses and a bunch of effects on media composer and lighting, and the red epic X pro bundle http://www.red.com/store/cameras again with plugins ect, is there lenses for the red? What one is more superior? Can you please give a honest answer of your opinion, looking at specs and your personal preference, I have looked at reviews ect and it seems either are the way to go, but it's choosing aha

thankyou all that have helped, appreciated 

Jordan

Participant

There are any number of makers of lenses with PL mounts that will fit an Epic.  Personally, I'd go for Scarlet and purchase a Nikon or Cannon mount and use nice SLR lenses for 80% of your work and rent a PL mount and cine lenses for larger projects.

I just purchased a new JVC GY-HM600.  I looked at a lot of camcorders, but this one seemed to provide a lot of features for the money.  I have not used it yet, however.  Anyone had experience with this new camera from JVC?

Participant

Most of the Red cameras are well known for driving sound recordists crazy due to their rather loud fans that come on when least expected πŸ™

For that reason, take a look at the Arri Alexa line.

http://www.arri.com/camera/digital_cameras/

Mike

Participant

Jordan, it looks like you've got an amazing opportunity to really put a great production house together. Congrats.

But remember – a great camera does not a great video producer make. (To badly butcher someone else's quote.)

I hope you also budget the required infrastructure for operating a production house at the level these cameras require (and deserve.) It's lights, tripods, dollies, portable audio gear, cases, C stands, sandbags, etc. etc. It's high end computers with high end software and high end data management solutions. It's also marketing, staff with the required expertise to operate everything, facilities, and transportation. And don't forget a great creative team – without a story it's just pretty pictures.

Seriously consider just starting with only one or two of these cameras. There's very little you can do with three camera's that you can't do with one or two. I've seen too many people buy high end cameras that end up sitting on shelves gathering dust. I hope this doesn't happen to you. If you need a second or third camera you can always rent one.

Good luck with whatever you choose and hopefully we'll all see your work one day. πŸ™‚

Participant

Jordan, 

sounds like we're in a similar position.  I was given the opportunity to start a high end facility about 16 years ago.  I'd be happy to give you some general advice based on that experience.  PM me if interested.

Participant

Whoa they look nice, there are loads of different ones on the website, which one do you think is the best?

Thanks 

Participant

Sorry I don't know much about this camcorder, but according to this review it's really good http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2012/12/22/jvc-gy-hm600-review-2012/

have fun with your new camcorder

Jordan

JORDAN.  Much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to using it.  It comes in next week.

Wally

Participant

Jordan, I know very little about the Arri Alexa other than what I've read online and some comments from pro sound guys about working with it.

Having said that, I get worried when I see someone such as yourself who wants to spend a lot of money without being intimately familar with the various cameras you're considering.

I strongly encourage you to go to various shops and check out the high end cameras. Even better would be to rent the ones you're considering for at least a week so you have a chance to play with them and see which one best suits your needs.

I work at a local community college and have been responsible for the purchase of a number of cameras during my career and would never buy one sight unseen.

Mike

Participant

Ok thank you,

and yes that's what I was going to do, I was going to see my best two options then rent them both then pick, I have been doing music and video production for years now and do know what best suits my needs when it comes to music equiptment to video equiptment, I made this thread so I could get an insight of what everyone else thought was best before I made my mind up of which ones to try out

thankyou

Jordan 

Participant

Thank you,

I have budgeted everything, the cameras are just the start of the stuff I need I know, I have a very high budget for everything else I need, like lighting, staff ect and have been researching this for years even before I got given the opportunity to start off one of my dreams which is a Production company that is music, films, music videos, picture editing ect

thankyou

jordan

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter β€” 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap