Basic Sound kit for EOS 5DM3

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

HI

I just have the Canon Eos 5D MK111, and am looking to record sound and get an affordable shoulder mount within a budget.

Would a Zoom H4N, Shure directional mic (not sure which one) with boom pole

and a lapel mic set (again, suggestions), I have some headphones – would this cover me for basic shoots?

I need low cost shoulder mount suggestions as well if possible.

I am UK based.

I tend to buy slightly used from Ebay when I know of a model that I think is right for the job.

If forum members could suggest I would be very grateful

Marts

Hello Marts – instead of a Zoom H4n, I suggest a Tascam DR-70D (£222.60 on eBay UK).  The Tascam will give you higher sound quality than the H4n due to its quieter preamplifiers.  It is also more convenient, since it attaches beneath your camera and doesnt take up space on your hot shoe or your rig.

As far as microphones go, the best value for your money will be a £159 Rode NTG-2.  You can power it via phantom from your recorder – or with an AA battery installed in the microphone (recommended).

To put the camera up on your shoulder, I recommend a £96 Catclaw offset shoulder mount and a £45.47 Kamerar LCD viewfinder.

You need an offset rig to put the LCD in front of your eye instead of off to the side.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Hi

They all look very good, and have good reviews. 

Can I ask are you representing a company at all?

What sort of lapel mic kit  (on a budget) is worth getting for interviews when a boom pole won't work?

After that will be (budget) LED battery lights

Many Thanks for speedy response

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap