Audio Upgrade

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, I am looking at upgrading my audio recording options. I am starting to record a lot of corporate events, interviews etc. I currently use the cheap and unrelaible Audio Technika PRO 88W/R wireless lavelier mic system with my Panasonic HC-X920. 

It has done okay but the lack of channels and its fairly cheap mic means I often get background noise and interference.

I am looking for a more reliable system and possibly one that is capable of handling two mics. Am I better off looking at something like the Shure BLX188UK/CV and using a receiver or just upgrading to the Sennheiser Mic System?

Anybody have a preference or an alternative?

Participant

My preference is the Sennheiser. I have 2 lav's sets but I can mix channels on my camera, you may need to get one of those Beachtec (or other) type boxes so you can mix before the camera. I'm very happy with the Sennheiser and twice, in 5 years, was at an event where another professional had the same. In one event we just used one mic and transmitter on the podium and set our receivers to the same frequently, I got my conference audio and he got his speaker audio. In the other event I'd already mic'd a speaker when a news videographer buzzed in and out using my audio. 

Hi Dan – to solve the interference and signal to noise problems endemic to VHF wireless mics, most people move up to UHF with the Sennheiser G3.  Sadly, they are expensive. A dual mic kit will set you back $1380.

Before you commit to UHF, you might want to take a look at another option – Bluetooth.  

Here is what the $190 Sony ECM-AW3 Bluetooth wireless mic can do:

The new version is black and costs less.

Good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap