Audio

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m having some trouble setting up my audio. I want to use a basic lavalier mic and hook it to my camcorder, but when I do It does not record the audio. I have checked the settings on the camera and from what I can see there is no setting for external audio. The camera I have is a Canon Vixia HF RF700.

You might want to try a different mic, or plug the lav into something else to test it – just to make sure that there isn’t a short in the cable, or just a bad mic.

When you plug it in, does your camera still record sound through the on board mics? If all you get is dead silence, there’s a problem with the lav. If the on board mics are still active, you are correct about there most likely being a setting on the camera that needs to be switched. Any chance it’s as easy as a physical switch on the camera body (not in the firmware)? I’m not familiar with your camera but most audio switches in my experience are physical switches located somewhere on the camera body.

Hope that helps.

Participant

Are you sure you have the correct ID for your camera? I can’t find it on-line or at B&H, so it’s difficult to tell how the audio is supposed to work.

I have two Canon Vixia camcorders. Dead silence means a problem with the mic or it’s cable. The camera switched off its on board mics, so it recognizes that something is plugged into the mic jack – so no worries about a setting on the camera. It did exactly what it’s supposed to do. Test the mic by plugging it into your computer or something else. I think you’ll discover that it’s not putting out any sound.

CharlesBennettCharlesBennett
      Participant

Also check whether your mic needs an internal battery to function.

It is just dead silence.

i apologize It is a Canon Vixia Hf RF700

Thank you very much.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap