Are there any current alternatives to the Flip cam?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking for an easy to use consumer camera alternative to the old Flip cams.

I know high-end smart phones can be used for video, however that is not an option for us. So we are looking for a stand-alone device that can record video.

This camera will be used by novice users to record video in the field. It has to be usable with little to no setup, since the users may not be tech savvy.

Some nice to have features would be optical zoom and a mic-input jack.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Most any camcorder you buy at Wal-Mart or Best Buy will fit the requirments that you've described.

Participant

Any specific recommendations? Thanks.

Nope, no specific recommendations. Anything you buy will have optical zoom. Most camcorders will have a mic input, but just check the specs on the box before you purchase it. 

Some of the best consumer camcorders out there today are smartphones. The iPhone and most Android phones will shoot 1080p video. If you master to 720p (US broadcast standard), that gives you a surprising amount of room to zoom and pan in post. One suggestion: Get an inexpensive tripod at Walmart, and always shoot from the tripod. Cheap iPhone tripod mounts are easy to find. Most smartphone video looks lousy because it's got the shakes.

Participant

Thank you for your suggestions.

As I stated in the OP, I am quite aware smart phones have taken over this category. I have some experience with video production, so this camera is not for me. I am looking for some alternatives that are chaeaper than the smart phone, for novice users, so something similar to the Flip would be ideal — LCD screen, zoom lever, big record button, and possibly a Mic input.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap