Are my system specs adequate for video editing?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear Are my system specs adequate for video editing?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi I just bought a dell precision T-3500 workstation. It has a xeon 6 core 2.67 ghz (xeon x5650) processor, 12 gb ram (6×2) and a Nvidia quadro 4000 card (2048mb of dedicated video memory) according to my research this computer should be able to handle basic 1080 HD video editing.  but i am running Magix movie edit pro 2014 on it and it is glitching bad.  It only has a 130 gb hard drive on it, does that matter? I have an external hard drive too so its not like the on board memory is low.  Any idea why I'm still having trouble?

Participant

The only things that should be on your 130 GB. drive are your programs. Everything else should be on another internal or external drive.

Is your external drive running at USB 3.0? I regularly edit HD video with Sony Vegas Pro 12 using external drives and never have any problems.

Mike

Participant

Hey Kelvar20, I agree with rs170a above…all your project files…video , music, jpeg's, graphics etc should be on an external drive or a secondary drive installed inside the Dell workstation.   Specification wise, that hexa core processor with that amount of memory should be more than adequate for editing HD video.     -Wayne

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2021

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap