An easy way to render the “Old Fashioned Analog Time Stamp” on Digital Video?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion An easy way to render the “Old Fashioned Analog Time Stamp” on Digital Video?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

In the old days with analog tape, we always had to put up with the time stamp burned onto our footage. Most of us are glad to bid adieu to this with the dawn of digital video.

I however, would like the real-time time stamp for the work I do filming teachers in their classrooms and have yet to find a quick and easy way to embed it in video. In the .mov metadata, there seems to be the date of when I first captured the video (that is the default title to all of my videos when I upload them to FCP X), and I want to be able to scroll 5 minutes into the video and be able to get the time stamp then as well. So far, the only way I have been able to do this is through the Date Time generator on Final Cut Pro but this is very time-consuming for FCP and I ideally would like a quicker turnaround to provide this video content to teachers. I am able to view the timestamp in playback mode on my Sony HDR-CX580 but, of course, this information is not rendered when I upload the video onto my computer. Is this metadata only preserved on my camera? Is there an easy way to render this data onto the video without using Final Cut Pro? Ideally some application that would allow me to view the video and would include the date and time stamp?

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

I think PowerDirector can do it, but I don't know of any professional video applications or plugins that will pull from metadata for time and date. They'll do timecode, but it doesn't sound like that's what you need.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap