Advice needed. 4K or 1080

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

im in the market to buy a drone to do videography. The two models that I have narrowed it down to differ by about $250 and the only difference is the camera. One is 4K the other is 1080. Currently I have no means to play 4K video and not really looking to output 4K media. So the question is… Since the 4K has significantly more pixels (4x as many I think) can you crop and zoom to 1080 resolution during the editing process if you want to convert to 1080 out put?

4K resolution is widely predicted to be the main development trend of video resolution, which is on the way to all of us. As you see, there are more and more cameras like Panasonic GH4, Blackmagic, Sony FDR-AX100, etc can shoot 4K video. While, 1080p High Definition format has not yet been covered wholly- the majority of playback, editing work is still being finished in 1080p. In most cases, we still need to downscale most of the Ultra HD 4K stuff to 1080p.

Participant

With the possible exception of a few very low end NLEs, most modern editing software can easily crop and zoom from 4K to 1080.

Mike

Participant

Judging only by the cheapness and availability of 4K televisions at Best Buy right now, I would say that 4K is going to happen faster than the transition from SD to HD. And also, if you want to see something sad, go watch old SD 4:3 YouTube videos. We thought they looked great at the time, but now they look awful.

Participant

Space Racer, I beg to differ about the adoption of 4K. When HD came along there was a big quality increase in what the average viewer was used to seeing, especially compared to VHS resolution and everyone jumped on the band wagon very quickly. I’m not seeing that same “love” with 4K. The only people I know who have made the jump so far are either very early adopters or videographers who love the fact that you can shoot in 4K and then crop the image to fit an HD project. Much like a lot of us did when HD came along but we were still delivering in SD. I know because I was one of them until I made the jump to HD only.

Mike

Participant

Excellent points! And when you step back to a normal viewing distance, 4K televisions don’t look too much better than regular TVs.
      The one difference I see between the SD-HD switch and now is that the 4K televisions seem to be starting out at a much lower price, and, of course there’s YouTube 4K. On the other hand none of the cables or broadcasters seem to be rushing into it. And 4K production is a lot more expensive because you can see every minute detail so you have to spend a lot more on production values.
      It’s never easy.

Participant

You can start moving to 4K now with each piece of equipment you buy. Or you can kick yourself later when you have to move to 4K and need to buy everything at once to get there.
      Your Drone with 4k will do 1080 also. Anyway most of them do. If your looking at the Phantom then yes it will do 4k and 1080 for the Pro. But it will not do SD. (Bummer) Unless you buy the cheaper one then it only does the 1080.
      Hope this helps.
      Michael

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap