Adobe Premiere general questions+slow motion!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Adobe Premiere general questions+slow motion!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello folks! As first thing, I'm an italian guy, so sorry for my BAD englsh! I'm a very noob in video-editing, but I'm trying to do my best, so sorry if I use some uncorrect term 

However, I saw this tuts about "slow-motion basic techniques":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aiQ5VSLx2IA

And I learnt the technique about "changing the frame rate of your video in order to make a good basic slowmotion".

But this tuts was made using after effects, so I have some questions (I'll try to put them in this list):

0.1 This is a very noob question: how can I see the framerate of the clip or sequence in Pr? In Ae is sufficient to click on it and on the top left corner (near to the preview image) there are all the info that you need (included the framerate).
      0.2 Usually, I use my GoPro in order to make videos, and I use 60fps at 720p in order to make "sufficient good" slow motion. But then I don't know what is the right "Sequence Presets" to choose (I usually use HDV 1080p30, but I don't know if it's the best/right choice) when I create a new sequence, so when I use a GoPro clip in some sequence it appears the message "Clips Mismatch Warning" and I have to choose the "Change sequence settings" option, but then I don't know what are the NEW sequence settings! I can know what are the NEW sequence settings?
      1. Here the most important question: I saw on the tuts that I linked above, that the a basic technique for slowmotion is to change directly the framerate of the clip from (for example) 59,94 to 29,97 (as in my case). But then I thought: how can I apply this technique "locally" on the clip? Or better gradually (so starting from 59,94 at a point of the clip and gradually decrease it until it reaches 29,97)? Is that possible in some way? I know that you can right click on the original clip->modify->interprete footage and change the frame rate, but that is for the WHOLE clips, not locally as I need!
      2. Then, I had an idea: why they use "change frame rate" and Twixtor SEPERATELY? Why not first change frame rate AND THEN apply the Twxitor effects? I had this idea because I tried to obtain an extreme slow motion using only Twixtor, but the result was really bad! But when I combined the two techniques the results was pretty good  What do you think about it? It is only an illusion (so I don't get something in the process, and there isn't any real improovment), or IT IS a good solution? 

I wish to thank EVERYONE who answer to my questions and will try to help me, THANK YOU! 

Participant

You can find the clip properties in the project window by scrolling to the right, as you do you'll come across the frame rate tab. It should be the first tab.. not sure why your not seeing it.

GoPro sequence settings. Try right clicking (control click) on the clip and select "new sequence from clip" and Premiere will give you the best sequence settings based on your footage.

About slow motion. What your asking for is 'ramping' your footage from one speed to another. But before you get started the best solution is to use twixtor to speed up your footage from slow to fast versus fast to slow, or regular (as filmed) to slow. Your first step should be to interpret the 59.9fps footage to 23.976. Then right click (control click) on the interpreted footage in the project window and create a sequence based on the clip (same as above). In the sequence you just made, the footage will be in 'slow motion'. Drag twixtor to your clip and under settings go to 'speed'. At the very beginning of your clip click the stop watch icon (keyframe). Move ONE frame to the right select another keyframe by clicking on the white dot inbetween the two (left and right facing) triangles. Then go the end of the clip, repeat by creating keyframe, then move ONE frame to the left and repeat by creating another keyframe. Go back to begining of clip and select the SECOND keyframe and change speed to 100% then go to the next keyframe (second to last) and put in your final (sped up) percentage. If your going from 59.9 to 23.976 then its roughly 2.5 times slower so your percentage should be around 42%.

The other option is to do the samething within premiere's native effects (not 3rd party effects like twixtor) by using the 'speed' options. similar to twixtor setup by placing keyframes and ramping to your desired final frame rate.

Hope it helps.

The easiest way to slow down 60p footage in Adobe Premiere is to Right Click the clip > Modify > Interpret Footage > Assume this frame rate : 23.976 > Ok

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap