Adobe Encore not in CC – Replacement recommendations?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Adobe Encore not in CC – Replacement recommendations?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Adobe has officially said that Encore will not be updated and included in Creative Cloud and will not be updated for new operating systems. Although technically the CS6 version is "available", it is static and won't be updated.

So I guess they assume all video will be watched on phones and Ipads…sigh….Or perhaps I should be streaming 2 hours of HD/DD5.1 video via the cloud…

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations on Blu-Ray/DVD Menu Authoring software that supports HD video, 5.1 audio stream, menus, and SL/DL DVD and SL Blu-Ray? If I move my machine to Windows 8, I'll have to change from Encore.  If there was a robust pre-made menu template market for the recommended program that would not be bad also. 

Actually the burning is not that critical, I guess I can use yet ANOTHER program to burn the image.  Which is kind of ironic….there are now so many CC programs you are paying a monthly fee for that you never use for video, and one of the ones you need in a video workflow is now now longer updated.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

BJBBJB

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Do you have a link pointing to where they say Encore won't be in Creative Cloud? They are including it in their pitch, and going to the Encore page on Adobe.com says it's included.

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/tools-and-services.html

> "does anyone have recommendations on Blu-Ray/DVD Menu Authoring software that supports HD video, 5.1 audio stream, menus, and SL/DL DVD and SL Blu-Ray?"

I recommend DVD Architect Pro from Sony Creatve Software, but it is available only with Sony Vegas Pro.

But you can try DVD Architect Studio, here (it's a lite version priced at $39.95)

> "does anyone have recommendations on Blu-Ray/DVD Menu Authoring software that supports HD video, 5.1 audio stream, menus, and SL/DL DVD and SL Blu-Ray?"

I recommend DVD Architect Pro from Sony Creatve Software, but it is available only with Sony Vegas Pro.

But you can try DVD Architect Studio, here (it's a lite version priced at $39.95)

Participant

Encore is in many respects a terrible program. Sure the dynamic link function is great to connect content directly with Premiere Pro, but in nearly all other respects, there is a lot wanting. Having said this, if it wasn't avaliable as part of CC this would also be a bad turn by Adobe. Updates on this feed would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

Mike, here is the link : 

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/faq.html

You have to click on each item to see the text but as I said, it confirms it is only included as CS6 and that it will not be supported for OS's after Windows 7.  Usually companies say MAY not be supported, they make it clear it WILL not be supported.

I think they are getting away with saying it is "included" because Encore CS6 is "included" in the cloud and Adobe supports that it will work with the CC AME output, if you have Encore CS6 installed AND you are on windows 7.

But what about if you are on windows 8?  And what about a year from now when cloud AME and PP are all updated like 10 times by then and we are on Windows 8 service pack 3?  No support for Encore and it may not work.  Think some of the "end-to-end cloud solution" messaging may have to change.

I agree it is not a stellar program…..but, neither is say windows file explorer (there are better alternatives out there). But it WORKS…and it is convenient to have as part of preinstalled programs for the OS.  

That is how I thought of Encore as not great but functional.  It always burned me I had to export my HD video and 5.1 audio separately anyway, I could never use dynamic link. But it never made me want to go out to spend $100's of dollars on an alternative.

So IMHO calling Encore terrible may be going a bit far.  But if it is terrible in comparison to some other products, please pass along the names of those tested and much better products!  Because once on Windows 8 I guess I will be using them.  πŸ™‚

The way I see it, if I am going to pay a monthly fee for somthing I have multiple versions of over the years, at least don't take something away that I use…. And this kinds of flies in the face of the comment (for video editors) that the only difference vs. using discs in CS6 for the cloud version is "you download the software from the cloud and install it locally and get all these great feature enhancement updates!".  I really was looking forward to a new shiny Encore.

The fact that you lose the back-end product going forward is not really highlighted. Most people did not find out about it until the program was mysteriously not included in the cloud offerings.

BJBBJB

Participant

BJBBJB, thanks for your follow up. Your right, maybe calling it 'terrible' is possibly a step too far, I think I just find myself getting frustrated by functionality that I feel shouldn't be an issue from an Adobe product. For example, navigating around the node based menu construction screen when you have more than ten menus or videos is woeful (almost 'terrible').

Thanks for the link also. Although possibly not working in updates to either OSX or WIndows, I'm at least reasured that we still have access to the program and it doesn't atomatically get taken away from anyone with a cloud subscription. I just hope that DVDs get phased out by not only the software and hardware companies, but also by clients who are still interested in getting them created…

Participant

You are correct…it is sad when just being available and functional even if not user friendly is what we are wishing for from an Adobe suite product!  Of course when compared to the alternative, I guess that is where we are at.

I hear you on the optical media.  However I think we have more then one or two OS upgrades in store for us before optical goes away.  So I am researching alternatives. Perhaps someone has a "competitive upgrade" deal out there. 

I have not seen any official blog or discussion from Adobe on the Encore issue.  Considering how much they advertise/blog/address issues, I am not sure why they won't comment on it. 

BJBBJB

Participant

Yes, definitly dissapointing. I'll be keeping an ear out for alternatives, but will realistically probably be dealing with it down the track when it becomes an issue.

Participant

I am currently a subscriber the Adobe's Creative Cloud, and can attest to the fact that Encore is indeed included.  I have used it on more that one occasion, although I must admit that creative menus that are easily navigable is my weakness!!

Regards,

JPR

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap