Adobe Ecosystem Question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Very basic question here.  I'm a casual, hobbyist user of Sony Vegas since version 9.  I've never used Adobe products, but I am considering picking them up.  Can someone give a basic explanation of which products for video editing are available and how they are delivered?  Specificalyl, what is Adobe Cloud?

What I want to know is can I purchase Adobe After Effects as a standalone download or must I be a member of their cloud service?  What about Adobe Premier?  Other video editing software in their suite?

Participant

Adobe has gone away from the purchase model for their software and they now use a subscription. There has been a lot of arguement over whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

BUT…

If you want to get into adobe without subscribing, you need to get their Elements programs. They're cut down, yet very functional, versions of Premiere and Photoshop. But if you're using Vegas, these are probably a step backward for you.

I subscribe to their Creative Suite – which includes pretty much the whole kit and caboodle of adobe, of which I use only a small handful of the actual programs regularly. you can get different packages aimed at video or photography or whatever for a smaller subscription fee if I understand correctly.

The cloud just means you don't get any disks in the mail. You log on, download, install and away you go. You DO NOT have to be online online to use most of their porducts on a day to day basis. You just have to be online to update software and perform certain tasks in certain programs.

I've been very happy with the way everything from lightroom and photoshop, to premier and after effects integrates with my workflow.

Hopefully this helps.

Participant

I also am a Creative Cloud subscriber and like using the service. Currently, it's $50/month for all of the video apps I can use, plus Acrobat and other apps that I may use on occasion, and that's 

a whole lot cheaper than buying the boxed versions. Where I use the software in my business, I write off the cost as a business expense. 

I wouldn't recommend CC for the casual user unless you're elegible for the student discount ($20) for the first year. You'd probably find CC too expensive for casual use.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap