Absolute best CPU for rendering & AVCHD

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Absolute best CPU for rendering & AVCHD

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

I am a it new at thisso please bear with me.

At he momentI use Pinnacle 17 which suites me well and my computer has an i7-3770K (4ores hyper treading and 3.9Ghz, GTX650 Ti and 16Gb RAM. I feel it is low rendering and making AVCHD videos from my Nikon P300 camera which generates .mov files.

Looking at the CPU bechmarks the i7-3770K has 9.644. I just wonder if a higer score means faster processing and rendering. Would the new i7-5000 series be best. Problem is that  do ot now if this CPU will have Quic sync whis sems required for encoding.

If is does not have HD4000 etc I should be able to use  good GPU for this.

If this is a completel over kill, could someone please sugest something better than I have now. Money is not a problem.

Thanks

Tony

Participant

How slow is slow?  the 3770K is pretty decent and so is your setup, perhaps there are bottle necks in your system. Rendering is notoriously slow when you are using only one drive to house your program, your inputs and outputs. An internal drive for each or small SSD for each will help.

Perhaps your software isn't particularly tuned for rendering, many inexpensive NLE's are not fast. For instance, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and sometimes Corel Video Studio. In comparisons I've made, the PPro is faster. 

Also, computers slow with age and use, you may wish to have a tech reformat your C drive, that works wonders.

Participant

Hi,

Thanks or your reply.

Yes, I am sure the PP is much faster, as it is a professional program, but a bit expensive for just a strong hobby.

At the moment I have only the win7 op system and pinnacle 17.6 on an SSD just for video editing and the raw video on a 3TB sata3 WD Caviar  HDD and create the video to a 2TB Seagate Barracuda green sata3 HDD. Ido not have any anti virus program or anything else and do not even have to be connected to the internet.

Just wonder if I should render to a 4th HDD, as at the moment it renders to the same HDD where I have the raw video.

Woud it be faster if I use SSDs for all drives? I thought that the SATA3 6Gb/s would be fast enough.

Or has it to do with that I import only the links of the video clips to the program and not the actual video? I then load the video clips to the time line.

I am just trying to learn if by getting the new i7-5960X when it comes out would improve the over all speed greately, or any of the CPUs with higher CPU scores. The i75960X also have quick sync which I understan is used for encoding.

Cheers

Participant

Wow!   That sounds like a real fast computer system you have there.  I'd say unless you're running a business and have a client breathing over your shoulder you don't need to upgrade anything except maybe the RAM.  I know many people who edit and turn out amazing HD video using systems that are far lower tech than what you've got.  You've got to ask yourself, is getting a few quicker minutes of rendering times worth the expense of a new CPU or could that money be better spent on other production equipment like microphones, lights, spare batteries etc.

Wayne

Participant

Hi and thanks for your comments.

I am a private guy with a strong hobby for filming under water since 1975 with 8mm film with my own casing and lights and then Beta Movie, also making my own u/w casing, then SD and now HD and make my own vidoes for my own web site.

The system I have now is 2.5 years old, So I am just trying to learn if I can get a good improvement. I thought that my current CPU mark score of 9.644 was not so high, comparing to a score of say i7-4830K with 13.205 and that this would speed up rendering and making a AVCH video faster. Or if the new upcomming i7-5960X would be even better.

I am just trying to learn is, if my thinking is right.

If there is only  small improvement of say 10-15%, then it is defenitely not worth the money.

Participant

Hey Tony,  What is your website? As a long time scuba diver I'm always looking to check out underwater videos.

Wayne

Participant

Hi Wayne,

Great, just click on my picture and you will see it all. E-amil is on web site.

Look forward to hearv from you.

Cheers

Tony

Participant

I have just checked the RAM usage and find that under any circumstanses, the RAM usage is never above 8GB. Also if I am right, I have found tht the Haswell i7-5960X does not seam to have Quick Sync. So, in this case what do you do? Use the lower grade Hawell-E, or stay with I7-3770K which has Quyick Sync, or upgrade to Adobe Premier Pro, which is a bit expencive for a private person I think. I know that the latest versions of CPUs has not yet been tested against videoprograms and perhaps it is better to wait a bit to see wat is happning out there. Would appeciate any comments in order o learn abit more.

Tank you

Tony

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap