A new Age old question: 720p vs 1080i for streaming

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion A new Age old question: 720p vs 1080i for streaming

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I work for a primarily online college and seminary, and I have been trying to get the best “bang for my buck” image-wise while keeping file size as small as possible. At first I was recording/editing in 720p/30 but now I am recording in 1080p/30 and editing in 720p/30 to give the best image for file size. I am getting great images so far, but I have been researching interlaced footage and while it may not be the best thing in the world for the average videographer, I was wondering if it would fit my needs ( Yes I know that 1080i/60 is fields not frames per second and the differences between progressive and interlaced.).
      My question is can i get a smaller file size with same resolution as108p/30(fr) at 1080i/60(fi). Yes technically 60 fields interlaced is only half the pixels of an image at 1/60th of a second, but effectively it should have the same resolution per second as 30 progressive frames (1/30th of a second). Since broadcast tv used 1080i/60 in place of 720p/30 due to bandwidth restrictions, would that mean that I could get a 1080 resolution for cheap in terms of file size or would it still be the same file size as 1080p/30 due to same amount of pixels?

just looking to get the best “bang for my buck” image-wise since we stream the video to students across the globe.

Ran some tests myself, so for anyone wondering: 1080i/60 file size is nearly the same as 1080p/30 maybe a couple megabyte bigger but unfortunately much bigger than 720p/30.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap