8mm mp videocassette tape

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am in the process of digitalizing all my old analog 8mm mp video tapes to my computer. One Maxell 8mm (p6-90) froze during playback. I noticed some small areas of what looked like fungal growth on top of the tape. I was able to manually spool a small amount of tape beyond where it froze and when I applied additional pressure to the tape via the spool the tape finally broke. After that happened I decided to take the cassette apart to see if I could remove any damaged tape, splice, and replace into the cassette. When I took the cassette apart a couple of small pieces fell out, one being the little lever that controls the lifting of the cassette guard and the little associated spring. I have been unable to put those two pieces back together. I was thinking I could replace the two old spools into a new cassette. The question I have is if the two old spools from the older maxell 8mm p6-90 would work in the newer tapes that are available today which have the GX designation. Would these old spools work in the newer cassettes? I have old 8 mm tapes from JVC, Polaroid, Sony, & Maxell. Any ideas on what I could do to salvage the tape in the broken cassette without having to open up one of my exhisting tapes. Thanks

Participant

Taking apart 8mm video cassettes and properly re-assembling them can be a real PITA. The spring loaded meachanism can be hard to get back together properly, as you've discovered.

It's been more than a decade since I last had the joy of taking an 8mm tape apart, but I would suspect you could swap the spools into the new case and reassemble it. Or, you could possible re-spool the tape onto the new spools if you can remove the new tape.

The catch here is that you may run into the same assembly problems you had with your original cassette.

Have you tried running it in the player with the tape guard completely removed?

Participant

I haven't tried running the tape without the guard.  I plan to finish transferring all my old tapes, then take apart another maxell to see how it is put together and hopefully use it or fix the old one to transfer the damaged tape.  I have been using an old Sony EV-C8u cassette recorder to play the tapes.  I found that a Sony TRV-608 Hi8 camera can play the tapes with better success on some tapes the old sony can't play for whatever reason; however, I am having some transfer issues with the usb with the Hi8 camera.   I don't want to try anything with the old spliced tape until, I have finished transferring the rest of the library.  The tapes originated on a Canon Video Camera which has long since failed on playing them.  I had another EV-C8u which also failed. (It froze shut with a head cleaner tape)  The second EV-C8u has worked well up to this point but this is old equipment.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap