7 lessons I’ve learnt since becoming a freelance cameraman.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Videomaker Tips and Suggestions 7 lessons I’ve learnt since becoming a freelance cameraman.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have been wanting to write an article like this for a little while now, and seeing as it’s raining outside and I have no shoots on, today seems like a good day to do it!
      There are loads to resources to provide ideas and hints on the best ways to prepare yourself before throwing in the nice, secure, full-time job in the video production industry and going out into the scary world of freelancing – this article is meant to be just a small collection of tips that I have learnt over the last 3 years and how they have helped make my life easier.
      Before starting cameraoperatorsydney.com I was a full-time staff cameraman & editor for around 6 years at TV stations here in Australia, as well as a few years working for a production house in London. My full-time experience proved to be invaluable experience and a way of gaining a solid set of skills behind the camera, directing and seeing the end-to-end video project journey.

1. Setting a date to become freelance is key.

Setting a date in your head to become freelance is important – it gets rid of the “I’ll do it one day” attitude as well as helping you plan to get yourself ready. A few questions to think about:
      Do I need to buy equipment or am I going to try and gain work by just offering my skills?
      How am I going to get my name out there? Website / Business cards / calling contacts / cold calling / freelance communities?
      What will my focus within the industry be?
      Setting a launch schedule, I suggest around 3 months out to start cutting your showreel, designing your business cards & making a website to prepare yourself ready for launch.

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.cameraoperatorsydney.com/7-things-ive-learnt-since-becoming-a-freelance-cameraman/

Would love to hear if you guys have any other lessons you have learnt?

LizPekler
      Participant

importance of white balance!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Tips and Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN