6k-ish budget for body. Which? Black Magic or FS5… or other ideas?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Professional Camcorders 6k-ish budget for body. Which? Black Magic or FS5… or other ideas?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I was just recently made a freelancer and about to take the plunge. I have been spoiled by working with company ENG cameras for many years. Most recently Panasonic 300 and upgraded to the 5000. So I am a bit particular in what might be a turnoff. Also, I am more of a creative mind that knows when I like the look and feel of something…. BUT, I am behind on the overwhelming array of technical anacronyms and industry numbers that fly over my head. I need to read “Video camera technology terms for dummies”… if it exists.

SIZE: I’m looking for something smaller, but a big camera is not a dealbreaker, since that’s all I’ve ever used.

FEATURES:

Zoom: I definitely want a zoom (servo) which is why I didn’t list the Canon C100. The longer, the better of course, but I just want a smooth zoom.

I definitely want 2 audio (XLR) inputs.

And because I am not the most tech-savvy guy, I would like my workflow to be simple. Plug and play if possible. I own a newly refurbed IMac that’s less than a year old and plan to primarily use Adobe PP (just bought) or occasionally Avid (or even IMovie) in a pinch.

Having room for wireless mic transmitters on the body of the camera is ideal. Will want an on-board light.

Having low-light capabilities is a big factor. 4k not a dealbreaker, but obviously, in planning for the future, I’m leaning that way.

The one thing that the ENG cameras didn’t tend to have were good depth of field for interviews shots in particular. I’d like to migrate in that direction of good DofF

GENERAL USAGE:

I am envisioning using this for primarily documentary style shooting and occasional web-based content. I also might need it for sports every once in awhile. So, it’s a little convoluted but I in short, I want it to be well-rounded.

mcrockett

If you want a camcorder, check out the Panasonic AG-DVX200. If you want to look at MILCs, look at the Panasonic GH4. With the budget you have, you can build a kit to really take advantage of what the GH4 can do. If you want to go that route, let me know and I can get more specific.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN