4k Editing computer specs question

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm new here so I hope this is in the right place. I apologize if it's not. I have recently been getting on board the 4k train and started edting my first video last night using vegas studio 14. As I was loading the clips on to the time line, I noticed it look much longer than 1080, and no matter what quality I set the preview to, it was choppy. I've listed my specs below. Would the consensus be that I should upgrade my whole system or would individual components need to be replaced:

Core i7 920 (first gen)

Asus P6T mobo

250GB SSD (I can't rememebr the brand)

12 GB DDR3 RAM.

Geforce GT 640 2 GB ram. 

Windows 10

The computer is 9 years old, so I do realize the technology is out of date. I also heard the CPU fan reving up as the clips were loading on the timeline. Maybe I'm in denial that I need a new computer? Thanks for any feedback.

I'm in the same boat. AMD 6 core FX6100 and Geforce GTX460 4 GB. I found this as a minimum/budget build.

CPU: Intel i7-8700
      Graphics Card: GTX 1050 Ti
      Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro
      RAM: 16GB DDR4
      Storage 1: 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD
      Storage 2: 2TB Seagate HDD
      Power Supply: SeaSonic G-650
      CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7
      Case: Fractal Define R5
      Operating System: Windows 10

Participant

The bottleneck is in two places – the sheer amount of data, as in 4 x HD, but also the video processing. Premiere, that I use has a list of approved video cards, and the better ones have their own processor to take the strain away. With a proper video intensive card, with it's own graphics engine – multiple streams of 4K can be managed – although I find it helps to have clips spread across two drives too. It's not good to have your computer OS on the same drive you have the clips on.

Inactive

Probably the DDR3 Ram and the Geforce GT 640 are not enough..

Try creating proxies. These helped me out a ton. Can run and edit like you should with no lag. Premier Pro is smart enough to tell the difference and will only use the true 4k file for the export.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap